Is competition good for trust? Cross-country evidence using micro-data
AbstractThis paper empirically analyzes implications of market competition for generalized trust of about 80,000 individuals in about 60 countries. We find that competition amplifies the trust-generating effect of market integration for highly integrated individuals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 100 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik, 2005.
"Free to Trust? Economic Freedom and Social Capital,"
Working Paper Series
2005:2, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl, 2006. "Free to Trust: Economic Freedom and Social Capital," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 141-169, 05.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik, 2005. "Free to Trust? Economic Freedom and Social Capital," Ratio Working Papers 64, The Ratio Institute.
- Alesina, Alberto F & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2000.
"Who Trusts Others?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hirschman, Albert O, 1982. "Rival Interpretations of Market Society: Civilizing, Destructive, or Feeble?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 1463-84, December.
- Brandts, Jordi & Riedl, Arno & van Winden, Frans A.A.M., 2006.
"Competition and Well-Being,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5532, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brandts,Jordi & Riedl,Arno & Winden,Frans,van, 2005. "Competition and Well-Being," Research Memoranda 033, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Jordi Brandts & Arno Riedl & Frans van Winden, 2004. "Competition and Well-Being," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 608.04, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jordi Brandts & Arno Riedl & Frans van Winden, 2004. "Competition and Well-Being," Working Papers 120, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jordi Brandts & Arno Riedl & Frans van Winden, 2004. "Competition and Well-Being," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-041/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Brandts, Jordi & Riedl, Arno & van Winden, Frans, 2005. "Competition and Well-Being," IZA Discussion Papers 1769, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joseph Henrich & Robert Boyd & Samuel Bowles & Colin Camerer & Ernst Fehr & Herbert Gintis & Richard McElreath, 2001. "Cooperation, Reciprocity and Punishment in Fifteen Small-scale Societies," Working Papers 01-01-007, Santa Fe Institute.
- Axel Dreher, 2006.
"Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Axel Dreher, 2005. "Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization," TWI Research Paper Series 6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Huck, Steffen & Lünser, Gabriele K. & Tyran, Jean-Robert, 2012.
"Competition fosters trust,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 195-209.
- Steffen Huck & Gabriele K. Ruchala & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2006. "Competition Fosters Trust," Discussion Papers 06-22, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huck, Steffen & Ruchala, Gabriele K. & Tyran, Jean-Robert, 2006. "Competition Fosters Trust," CEPR Discussion Papers 6009, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Bjørnskov, 2007. "Determinants of generalized trust: A cross-country comparison," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Tullock, Gordon, 1985. "Adam Smith and the Prisoners' Dilemma," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 1073-81, Supp..
- Christopher Marquis & Michael W. Toffel, 2011. "When Do Firms Greenwash? Corporate Visibility, Civil Society Scrutiny, and Environmental Disclosure," Harvard Business School Working Papers 11-115, Harvard Business School, revised Dec 2012.
- Fischer, Justina A.V. & Torgler, Benno, 2011.
"Do Positional Concerns Destroy Social Capital: Evidence from 26 Countries,"
28650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Justina A.V. Fischer & Benno Torgler, 2013. "Do Positional Concerns Destroy Social Capital: Evidence From 26 Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(2), pages 1542-1565, 04.
- Justina A V Fischer & Benno Torgler, 2011. "Do Positional Concerns Destroy Social Capital: Evidence from 26 Countries," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 265, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Berggren, Niclas & Bjørnskov, Christian, 2009.
"Is the Importance of Religion in Daily Life Related to Social Trust? Cross-Country and Cross-State Comparisons,"
Ratio Working Papers
142, The Ratio Institute.
- Berggren, Niclas & Bjørnskov, Christian, 2011. "Is the importance of religion in daily life related to social trust? Cross-country and cross-state comparisons," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 459-480.
- Francois, Patrick & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2009. "Doux Commerces: Does Market Competition Cause Trust?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Siziba, Shephard & Bulte, Erwin, 2012. "Does market participation promote generalized trust? Experimental evidence from Southern Africa," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 156-160.
- Tu, Qin & Bulte, Erwin, 2010. "Trust, Market Participation and Economic Outcomes: Evidence from Rural China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1179-1190, August.
- Fischer, Justina A.V., 2012.
"Globalization and Political Trust,"
36692, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.