An exercise in composite indicators construction: Assessing the sustainability of Italian regions
AbstractThis paper presents a piece of research aimed at evaluating the relative sustainability of the Italian Regions. After selecting a core set of indicators, for which we referred to the EU Sustainable Development Strategy, we built a composite index and checked for its robustness. As a result we got 'many numbers', that is, a range of possible rankings for Italian Regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Ecological Economics.
Volume (Year): 70 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolecon
Composite indicators Rankings Benchmarking Sustainability Sensitivity robustness;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shmelev, Stanislav E. & Rodríguez-Labajos, Beatriz, 2009. "Dynamic multidimensional assessment of sustainability at the macro level: The case of Austria," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2560-2573, August.
- Marcella Corsi & Giulio Guarini, 2009. "What Does Progress Mean? A Temptative Answer Following a Classical Approach," DULBEA Working Papers 09-13.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giuseppe Munda & Michaela Saisana, 2011. "Methodological Considerations on Regional Sustainability Assessment Based on Multicriteria and Sensitivity Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 261-276.
- Pearce, David W. & Atkinson, Giles D., 1993. "Capital theory and the measurement of sustainable development: an indicator of "weak" sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 103-108, October.
- Dietz, Simon & Neumayer, Eric, 2007. "Weak and strong sustainability in the SEEA: Concepts and measurement," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 617-626, March.
- Tommaso Luzzati & Gianluca Gucciardi, 2012.
"Una classifica robusta della sostenibilità delle regioni italiane,"
2012/140, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Tommaso Luzzati & Gianluca Gucciardi, 2012. "Una classifica robusta della sostenibilità delle regioni italiane," Discussion Papers 2012/141, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.