Issues in environmental justice within the European Union
AbstractThis paper surveys pressing issues facing current and future social policies in the European Union (EU) at the juncture of social justice demands and environmental concerns. European policy-makers have in fact only recently acknowledged the notions of environmental justice and environmental inequalities, which have been part of the US policy arsenal for almost two decades. Yet, challenges to equality and fairness in the environmental domain are many and growing within the European Union. After having defined environmental justice and environmental inequalities in the European context, the paper addresses two contemporary dimensions of those challenges for EU social policies: vulnerability and exposure to environmental disaster and risk; and fairness in environmental taxation and the related issue of fuel poverty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Ecological Economics.
Volume (Year): 70 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolecon
Environmental justice Environmental inequalities European Union;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan L. Cutter & Bryan J. Boruff & W. Lynn Shirley, 2003. "Social Vulnerability to Environmental Hazards," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(2), pages 242-261.
- Banzhaf, H. Spencer & Walsh, Randy, 2006. "Do People Vote with Their Feet? An Empirical Test of Environmental Gentrification," Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future dp-06-10, Resources For the Future.
- Anne-Michelle Slater & Ole Pedersen, 2009. "Environmental justice: lessons on definition and delivery from Scotland," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(6), pages 797-812.
- Leßmann, Ortrud & Rauschmayer, Felix, 2012. "Re-conceptualising sustainable development on the basis of the capability approach: A model and its difficulties," UFZ Discussion Papers 03/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Eloi Laurent, 2011.
"Pour une justice environnementale européenne : le cas de la précarité énergétique,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Ã‰loi Laurent, 2012. "Pour une justice environnementale europÃ©enne. Le cas de la prÃ©caritÃ© Ã©nergÃ©tique," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 99-120.
- Alexandre BERTHE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Sylvie FERRARI (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2012. "Ecological inequalities: how to link unequal access to the environment with theories of justice?," Cahiers du GREThA, Groupe de Recherche en Economie ThÃ©orique et AppliquÃ©e 2012-17, Groupe de Recherche en Economie ThÃ©orique et AppliquÃ©e.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompqllr09hi4ijb1r1 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.