Health benefits of tunneling through the Chinese environmental Kuznets curve (EKC)
AbstractIn this paper, we first add to what is a growing literature on the existence and nature of the environmental Kuznets curve (EKC) model for developing countries, by testing for the existence of an EKC for China using a panel data set of city-specific, annual ambient levels of SO2 pollution. We find some support for both the typical inverted-U-shaped relationship and an N-shaped, cubic configuration. More significantly, we then explore the possibility of China's "tunneling" through the EKC, by using newer, cleaner technologies, and thereby avoiding some of the environmental degradation that had often accompanied economic growth. Specifically, we estimate and economically value the health benefits realizable to Chinese cities from successful efforts to "tunnel" under the EKC over the next generation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Ecological Economics.
Volume (Year): 66 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolecon
Environmental Kuznets curve Health benefits Tunneling Asia China;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Harbaugh & Arik Levinson & David Wilson, 2000.
"Reexamining the Empirical Evidence for an Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
gueconwpa~00-00-07, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- William T. Harbaugh & Arik Levinson & David Molloy Wilson, 2002. "Reexamining The Empirical Evidence For An Environmental Kuznets Curve," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 541-551, August.
- William Harbaugh & Arik Levinson & David Wilson, 2000. "Reexamining the Empirical Evidence for an Environmental Kuznets Curve," NBER Working Papers 7711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- James Hammitt & Ying Zhou, 2006. "The Economic Value of Air-Pollution-Related Health Risks in China: A Contingent Valuation Study," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(3), pages 399-423, 03.
- Joseph E. Aldy & W. Kip Viscusi, 2008.
"Adjusting the Value of a Statistical Life for Age and Cohort Effects,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 573-581, August.
- Aldy, Joseph E. & Viscusi, W. Kip, 2006. "Adjusting the Value of a Statistical Life for Age and Cohort Effects," Discussion Papers dp-06-19, Resources For the Future.
- Robert T. Deacon & Catherine S. Norman, 2006.
"Does the Environmental Kuznets Curve Describe How Individual Countries Behave?,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 82(2), pages 291-315.
- Deacon, Robert & Norman, Catherine S, 2004. "Does the Environmental Kuznets Curve Describe How Individual Countries Behave?," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt6gm8164w, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Zhou Yuan & Richard S.J. Tol, 2005. "Valuing the health impacts from particulate air pollution in Tianjin," Working Papers FNU-89, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Sep 2005.
- Hannes Egli & Thomas Steger, 2007.
"A Dynamic Model of the Environmental Kuznets Curve: Turning Point and Public Policy,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 15-34, January.
- Hannes Egli & Thomas M. Steger, 2004. "A Dynamic Model of the Environmental Kuznets Curve : Turning Point and Public Poliy," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 04/33, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich, revised May 2005.
- James Andreoni & Arik Levinson, 1998.
"The Simple Analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
6739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andreoni, James & Levinson, Arik, 2001. "The simple analytics of the environmental Kuznets curve," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 269-286, May.
- David I. Stern, 2003.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Stern, David I., 2004. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- Guo, Xiaoqi & Haab, Timothy C. & Hammitt, James K., 2006. "Contingent Valuation and the Economic Value of Air-Pollution-Related Health Risks in China," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21366, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yi, Honghong & Hao, Jiming & Tang, Xiaolong, 2007. "Atmospheric environmental protection in China: Current status, developmental trend and research emphasis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 907-915, February.
- Vincent, Jeffrey R., 1997. "Testing for environmental Kuznets curves within a developing country," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 417-431, November.
- Plassmann, Florenz & Khanna, Neha, 2006. "A note on," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(06), pages 697-707, December.
- Copeland,B.R. & Scott Taylor,M., 2003.
"Trade, growth and the environment,"
10, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Merlevede, Bruno & Verbeke, Tom & De Clercq, Marc, 2006.
"The EKC for SO2: Does firm size matter?,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 451-461, October.
- B. Merlevede & T. Verbeke & M. De Clercq, 2004. "The EKC for SO2: does firm size matter?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/218, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Henri L.F.M. de Groot & Cees A. Withagen & Zhou Minliang, 2001. "Dynamics of China's Regional Development and Pollution," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-036/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Thomas J. Kniesner & W. Kip Viscusi, 2005. "Value of a Statistical Life: Relative Position vs. Relative Age," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 142-146, May.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, December.
- Munasinghe, Mohan, 1999. "Is environmental degradation an inevitable consequence of economic growth: tunneling through the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 89-109, April.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Panayotou, Theodore, 1997. "Demystifying the environmental Kuznets curve: turning a black box into a policy tool," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 465-484, November.
- Junyi Shen & Yoshizo Hashimoto, 2004. "Environmental Kuznets Curve on Country Level: Evidence from China," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 04-09, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Ezzati, Majid & Singer, Burton H. & Kammen, Daniel M., 2001. "Towards an Integrated Framework for Development and Environment Policy: The Dynamics of Environmental Kuznets Curves," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1421-1434, August.
- Torras, Mariano & Boyce, James K., 1998. "Income, inequality, and pollution: a reassessment of the environmental Kuznets Curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 147-160, May.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Shen, Junyi, 2006. "A simultaneous estimation of Environmental Kuznets Curve: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 383-394.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Antonio Musolesi, 2011. "Income and time related effects in EKC," Working Papers 201105, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Antonio Musolesi, 2010. "Carbon Abatement Leaders and Laggards Non Parametric Analyses of Policy Oriented Kuznets Curves," Working Papers 2010.149, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Daigee Shaw & Arwin Pang & Chang-Ching Lin & Ming-Feng Hung, 2010. "Economic growth and air quality in China," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 12(3), pages 79-96, September.
- Brajer, Victor & Mead, Robert W. & Xiao, Feng, 2011. "Searching for an Environmental Kuznets Curve in China's air pollution," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 383-397, September.
- Jalal Dehnavi & Amin Haghnejad, 2012. "Energy Consumption, Economic Growth, And Pollution In Selected Opec Countries: Testing The Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis," Journal of Academic Research in Economics, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Accounting and Financial Management Constanta, vol. 4(2 (July)), pages 149-166.
- Song, Ma-Lin & Zhang, Wei & Wang, Shu-Hong, 2013. "Inflection point of environmental Kuznets curve in Mainland China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 14-20.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Antonio Musolesi, 2009. "Carbon Kuznets Curves: Long-run Structural Dynamics and Policy Events," Working Papers 2009.87, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- ITALO ARBULÚ VILLANUEVA Author-Workplace-Name: Málaga-Webb & Asociados, 2012. "Introducing Institutional Variables In The Environmental Kuznets Curve (Ekc): A Latin American Study," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1, pages 71-81, March.
- repec:ags:miscpa:112751 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sebri, Maamar, 2009.
"La Zone Méditerranéenne Face à la Pollution de L’air : Une Investigation Econométrique
[The Mediterranean Zone in front of Air pollution: an Econometric Investigation]," MPRA Paper 32382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.