Pricing exotic options using the Wang transform
AbstractThe Wang transform allows for a simple, yet intuitive approach to pricing options with underlying based on geometric Brownian motion. This paper shows how the approach by Hamada and Sherris can be used to price some exotic options. Examples showing the convergence of the Wang price to the Black–Scholes price for a Margrabe option, a geometric basket option and an asset-or-nothing option are given. We also take a look at the range of prices achievable using the Wang transform for these options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The North American Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163
Wang transform; Exotic options; Geometric Brownian motion; Choquet pricing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C65 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Miscellaneous Mathematical Tools
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Chateauneuf & R. Kast & A. Lapied, 1996.
"Choquet Pricing For Financial Markets With Frictions,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 323-330.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Kast, R. & Lapied, A., 1992. "Choquet Pricing for Financial Markets with Frictions," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a11, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Labuschagne, Coenraad C.A. & Offwood, Theresa M., 2010. "A note on the connection between the Esscher-Girsanov transform and the Wang transform," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 385-390, December.
- Mahmoud Hamada & Michael Sherris, 2003. "Contingent claim pricing using probability distortion operators: methods from insurance risk pricing and their relationship to financial theory," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 19-47.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Michael McAleer & Shawkat Hammoudeh, 2012.
"Risk Management and Financial Derivatives:An Overview,"
KIER Working Papers
816, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & McAleer, Michael, 2013. "Risk management and financial derivatives: An overview," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 109-115.
- Hammoudeh, S.M. & McAleer, M.J., 2012. "Risk Management and Financial Derivatives: An Overview," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2012-14, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Michael McAleer, 2012. "Risk Management and Financial Derivatives: An Overview," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2012-08, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Michael McAleer, 2012. "Risk Management and Financial Derivatives: An Overview," Working Papers in Economics 12/10, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.