Volatility transmission in the European money market
AbstractThe European overnight rate (Eonia) is the operational target of the European Central Bank (ECB) that signals the monetary policy stance and anchors the term structure of interest rates. This paper empirically investigates the transmission of Eonia volatility to longer term money market rates. Distinguishing between seasonal Eonia volatility due to, e.g., calendar effects and non-seasonal volatility which may be closer related to uncertainty about the policy intentions of the ECB reveals a significant volatility transmission even for the twelve-month rate. We also examine how the ECB's new operational framework introduced in March 2004 has influenced the Eonia and the transmission of volatility along the yield curve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The North American Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 19 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Ayuso & Andrew Haldane & Fernando Restoy, 1997. "Volatility transmission along the money market yield curve," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 56-75, March.
- Nautz, Dieter, 1997. "How Auctions Reveal Information: A Case Study on German REPO Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Dieter Nautz & Christian J. Offermanns, 2007.
"The dynamic relationship between the euro overnight rate, the ECB's policy rate and the term spread,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 287-300.
- Offermanns, Christian J. & Nautz, Dieter, 2006. "The dynamic relationship between the Euro overnight rate, the ECB´s policy rate and the term spread," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Nautz, Dieter & Linzert, Tobias & Breitung, Jörg, 2003.
"Bidder Behavior in Repo Auctions without Minimum Bid Rate: Evidence from the Bundesbank,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2003,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Tobias Linzert & Dieter Nautz & Jorg Breitung, 2004. "Bidder behaviour in repo auctions without minimum bid rate: evidence from the Bundesbank," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 55, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Whitesell, William, 2006. "Interest rate corridors and reserves," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1177-1195, September.
- Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge & Gaspar, Vítor, 2001.
"The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market,"
47, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Gaspar, Vitor & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB Monetary Policy Strategy and the Money Market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 325-42, October.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market," Working Paper Series 0069, European Central Bank.
- Nautz, Dieter, 1998. "Banks' demand for reserves when future monetary policy is uncertain," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 161-183, June.
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jorg, 2006.
"Overbidding in fixed rate tenders--an empirical assessment of alternative explanations,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 631-646, April.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003. "Overbidding in Fixed Rate Tenders - An Empirical Assessment of Alternative Explanations," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse10_2003, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Julius Moschitz, 2004. "Monetary Policy Implementation and Volatility in the Euro Area Money Market," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 95, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2005. "When did the FOMC begin targeting the federal funds rate? what the verbatim transcripts tell us," Working Papers 2004-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ángel León & Francis Benito & Juan Nave, 2006. "Modeling The Euro Overnight Rate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Linzert, Tobias & Schmidt, Sandra, 2007.
"What Explains the Spread Between the Euro Overnight Rate and the ECB's Policy Rate?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Linzert, Tobias & Schmidt, Sandra, 2008. "What explains the spread between the euro overnight rate and the ECB's policy rate?," Working Paper Series 0983, European Central Bank.
- Hassler, Uwe & Nautz, Dieter, 2008. "On the persistence of the Eonia spread," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 184-187, December.
- Beirne, John, 2012. "The EONIA spread before and during the crisis of 2007–2009: The role of liquidity and credit risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 534-551.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2008. "Liquidity management and overnight rate calendar effects: Evidence from German banks," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 7-21, March.
- Ulrike Busch & Dieter Nautz, 2009.
"Controllability and Persistence of Money Market Rates along the Yield Curve: Evidence from the Euro Area,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2009-029, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ulrike Busch & Dieter Nautz, 2010. "Controllability and Persistence of Money Market Rates along the Yield Curve: Evidence from the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 367-380, 08.
- Busch, Ulrike & Nautz, Dieter, 2009. "Controllability and persistence of money market rates along the yield curve: evidence from the euro area," Discussion Papers 2009/5, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Trenca Ioan & Mutu Simona & Petria Nicolae, 2012. "Analyzing The European Market Of Interest Rate Swap Indices," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 614-619, December.
- Nautz, Dieter & Scheithauer, Jan, 2011.
"Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1375-1386.
- Nautz, Dieter & Scheithauer, Jan, 2010. "Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence," Discussion Papers 2010/26, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Dieter Nautz & Jan Scheithauer, 2009. "Monetary Policy Implementation and Overnight Rate Persistence," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-053, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Mutu, Simona & Breşfelean, Vasile Paul & Göndör, Mihaela, 2011. "The impact of the financial crisis on the interbank money markets behavior. Evidence from several CEE transition economies," MPRA Paper 42102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Filippo COSSETTI & Francesco GUIDI, 2009. "ECB Monetary Policy and Term Structure of Interest Rates in the Euro Area: an Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 334, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Silvio Colarossi & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "Gradualism, transparency and the improved operational framework: a look at the overnight volatility transmission," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 710, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.