Leadership effects: school principals and student outcomes
AbstractWe identify the effect of individual high school principals on graduation rates and English exam scores using an administrative data set of grade 12 students in BC Canada. Many principals were rotated across schools by districts, permitting isolation of the effect of principals from the effect of schools. We estimate the variance of the idiosyncratic effect of principals on student outcomes using a semi-parametric technique assuming the effect is time invariant. We also allow for the possibility that principals take time to realize their full effect at a school.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics of Education Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/econedurev
Educational economics; Efficiency; Human capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dan D. Goldhaber & Dominic J. Brewer, 1997. "Why Don't Schools and Teachers Seem to Matter? Assessing the Impact of Unobservables on Educational Productivity," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(3), pages 505-523.
- Gates, Susan M. & Ringel, Jeanne S. & Santibanez, Lucrecia & Guarino, Cassandra & Ghosh-Dastidar, Bonnie & Brown, Abigail, 2006. "Mobility and turnover among school principals," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 289-302, June.
- Daniel Aaronson & Lisa Barrow & William Sander, 2002.
"Teachers and student achievement in the Chicago public high schools,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Daniel Aaronson & Lisa Barrow & William Sander, 2007. "Teachers and Student Achievement in the Chicago Public High Schools," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 95-135.
- Victor Lavy, 2008. "Does Raising the Principal's Wage Improve the School's Outcomes? Quasi-experimental Evidence from an Unusual Policy Experiment in Israel," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(4), pages 639-662, December.
- Konstantopoulos, Spyros, 2007. "How Long Do Teacher Effects Persist?," IZA Discussion Papers 2893, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten & Heckman, James, 2003.
"Estimating distributions of treatment effects with an application to the returns to schooling and measurement of the effects of uncertainty on college choice,"
Working Paper Series
2003:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten T. & Heckman, James J., 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College Choice," IZA Discussion Papers 767, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David N. Figlio, 2005.
"Testing, Crime and Punishment,"
NBER Working Papers
11194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2002.
"The Failure of Input-based Schooling Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
9040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian A. Jacob & Steven D. Levitt, 2003.
"Rotten Apples: An Investigation Of The Prevalence And Predictors Of Teacher Cheating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 843-877, August.
- Brian A. Jacob & Steven D. Levitt, 2003. "Rotten Apples: An Investigation of the Prevalence and Predictors of Teacher Cheating," NBER Working Papers 9413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Steven G. Rivkin, 1998.
"Teachers, Schools, and Academic Achievement,"
NBER Working Papers
6691, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petra E. Todd & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 2003. "On The Specification and Estimation of The Production Function for Cognitive Achievement," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F3-F33, February.
- Pedro Carneiro & Karsten T. Hansen & James J. Heckman, 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College," NBER Working Papers 9546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Foley, Kelly & Gallipoli, Giovanni & Green, David A., 2010.
"Ability, Parental Valuation of Education and the High School Dropout Decision,"
CLSRN Working Papers
clsrn_admin-2010-14, UBC Department of Economics, revised 30 Apr 2010.
- Kelly Foley & Giovanni Gallipoli & David A. Green, 2009. "Ability, parental valuation of education and the high school dropout decision," IFS Working Papers W09/21, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hanushek, Eric, 1971. "Teacher Characteristics and Gains in Student Achievement: Estimation Using Micro Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 280-88, May.
- Andrew Leigh, 2009.
"Estimating Teacher Effectiveness From Two-Year Changes in Students’ Test Scores,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
619, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Leigh, Andrew, 2010. "Estimating teacher effectiveness from two-year changes in students' test scores," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 480-488, June.
- Koedel, Cory, 2008.
"Teacher quality and dropout outcomes in a large, urban school district,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 560-572, November.
- Cory Koedel, 2007. "Teacher Quality and Dropout Outcomes in a Large, Urban School District," Working Papers 0713, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Kelly Foley, 2012. "Can neighbourhoods change the decisions of youth on the margins of university participation?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 167-188, February.
- Jonah E. Rockoff, 2004. "The Impact of Individual Teachers on Student Achievement: Evidence from Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 247-252, May.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2002.
"Economic Considerations and Class Size,"
NBER Working Papers
8875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Nikhil Jha, 2013. "Educational Achievement and the Allocation of School Resources," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2013n27, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Cory Koedel & Jason A. Grissom & Shawn Ni & Michael Podgursky, 2011.
"Pension-Induced Rigidities in the Labor Market for School Leaders,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3605, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cory Koedel & Jason A. Grissom & Shawn Ni & Michael Podgursky, 2011. "Pension-Induced Rigidities in the Labor Market for School Leaders," Working Papers 1115, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Stephen Lipscomb & Hanley Chiang & Brian Gill, 2012. "Value-Added Estimates for Phase 1 of the Pennsylvania Teacher and Principal Evaluation Pilot," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 7454, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Jha, Nikhil, 2013. "Educational Achievement and the Allocation of School Resources," IZA Discussion Papers 7551, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hanley Chiang & Stephen Lipscomb & Brian Gill, 2012. "Is School Value-Added Indicative of Principal Quality?," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 7587, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Stephen Lipscomb & Hanley Chiang & Brian Gill, 2012. "Value-Added Estimates for Phase 1 of the Pennsylvania Teacher and Principal Evaluation Pilot," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 7445, Mathematica Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.