Does CPI Granger-cause WPI? New extensions from frequency domain approach in Pakistan
AbstractThe present study significantly contributes to the economic literature by investigating the direction of causality between WPI and CPI by applying frequency domain causality approach developed by Lemmens et al. (2008) based on spectral approach. We use monthly frequency data covering the period of 1961–2010 in case of Pakistan. Our results provide evidence of cointegration between the variables. Furthermore, we find unidirectional causal relationship running from CPI to WPI that varies across frequencies i.e., CPI Granger-causes WPI at lower, medium as well as higher level of frequencies reflecting long-run, medium and short-run cycles. This implies that CPI should be a leading indicator for important policy decisions pertaining to monetary or fiscal policies in Pakistan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
WPI; CPI; Frequency domain approach;
Other versions of this item:
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Kumar, A.T.K. & Mohammad, Iqbal Tahir, 2012. "Does CPI Granger-Cause WPI? New Extensions from Frequency Domain Approach in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38816, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 May 2012.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Margarita Katsimi & Nikitas Pittis, 2002. "Causality Links between Consumer and Producer Prices: Some Empirical Evidence," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 703-711, January.
- Schwert, G William, 2002.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 5-17, January.
- José Julián Sidaoui & Carlos Capistrán & Daniel Chiquiar & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2009. "A Note on the Predictive Content of PPI over CPI Inflation: The Case of Mexico," Working Papers 2009-14, Banco de México.
- Lemmens, Aurélie & Croux, Christophe & Dekimpe, Marnik G., 2008. "Measuring and testing Granger causality over the spectrum: An application to European production expectation surveys," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 414-431.
- Hakan Berument & Seyit Mümin Cilasun & Yýlmaz Akdi, 2006.
"The Relationship Between Different Price Indices : Evidence from Turkey,"
Departmental Working Papers
0603, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Akdi, Yilmaz & Berument, Hakan & Mümin Cilasun, Seyit, 2006. "The relationship between different price indices: Evidence from Turkey," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 360(2), pages 483-492.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009.
"Financial Crises and Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
15379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009. "Financial crises and economic activity," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 89-135.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Nasir Hamid Rao & Syed Kalim Hyder Bukhari, 2011.
"Asymmetric Shocks and Co-movement of Price Indices,"
- Rao, Nasir Hamid & Bukhari, Syed Kalim Hyder, 2010. "Asymmetric Shocks and Co-movement of Price Indices," MPRA Paper 28723, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2005.
"Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis for Cointegrated Variables,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/02, European University Institute.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2006. "Structural vector autoregressive analysis for cointegrated variables," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Jan Kmenta & James B. Ramsey, 1980. "Evaluation of Econometric Models," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kmen80-1.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Abu N. M. Wahid & Adnan Haider, 2010. "Empirical Psychology Between Wholesale Price And Consumer Price Indices: The Case Of Pakistan," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(03), pages 537-551.
- Colclough, William G. & Lange, Mark D., 1982. "Empirical evidence of causality from consumer to wholesale prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 379-384, August.
- Todd E. Clark, 1995. "Do producer prices lead consumer prices?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 25-39.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012. "An empirical investigation of causality between producers' price and consumers' price indices in Australia in frequency domain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1571-1578.
- Lew Silver, J. & Dudley Wallace, T., 1980. "The lag relationship between wholesale and consumer prices : An application of the Hatanaka-Wallace procedure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 375-387, April.
- Engle, Robert F, 1978. "Testing Price Equations for Stability across Spectral Frequency Bands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 869-81, July.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Mutascu, Mihai & Andries, Alin Marius, 2013. "Decomposing time-frequency relationship between producer price and consumer price indices in Romania through wavelet analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 151-159.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.