Exploring the effects of aggregation error in the estimation of consumer demand elasticities
AbstractErrors introduced by using aggregate data in estimating a consumer demand model have long been a concern. We study the effects of such errors on elasticity estimates derived from AIDS and QUAIDS models. Based on a survey of published articles, a generic parameterization of the income distribution, and the range of Gini coefficients reported for 28 OECD countries, we generate and analyze a large number of "observations" on the differences between elasticities calculated at the aggregate level and those calculated at the micro level. We suggest a procedure for evaluating the likely range of aggregation error when a model is estimated with aggregate data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Aggregation error Consumer demand elasticities AIDS/QUAIDS models Income distribution;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1984. "Completeness, Distribution Restrictions, and the Form of Aggregate Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 887-907, July.
- Duffy, Martyn, 2003. "Advertising and food, drink and tobacco consumption in the United Kingdom: a dynamic demand system," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 51-70, January.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1992. "Aggregation with Log-Linear Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 635-42, July.
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997.
"Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems,"
97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999. "Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-32, May-June.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems: an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Working Papers 249982, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Blundell & Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems : an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Working Papers 156380, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- Beach, Charles M & MacKinnon, James G, 1979.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(2), pages 459-64, June.
- Charles M. Beach & James G. MacKinnon, 1977. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Working Papers 276, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Frank Denton & Dean Mountain, 2004.
"Aggregation effects on price and expenditure elasticities in a quadratic almost ideal demand system,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 613-628, August.
- Frank T. Denton & Dean C. Mountain, 2002. "Aggregation Effects on Price and Expenditure Elasticities in a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 374, McMaster University.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Empirical Approaches to the Problem of Aggregation Over Individuals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1827-74, December.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1980. "Analysis of a Time Series of Household Expenditure Surveys for India," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(4), pages 595-602, November.
- Brenda L. Boetel & Donald J. Liu, 2003. "Evaluating the effect of generic advertising and food health information within a meat demand system," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 345-354.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1990. "Income distribution movements and aggregate money illusion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 35-42.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Amos Golan & Jeffrey M. Perloff & Edward Z. Shen, 2001. "Estimating A Demand System With Nonnegativity Constraints: Mexican Meat Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 541-550, August.
- Roland Benabou, 2000. "Unequal Societies: Income Distribution and the Social Contract," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 96-129, March.
- Luo, Guo Ying, 2002. "Collective Decision-Making and Heterogeneity in Tastes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 213-26, April.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Kostas Velentzas, 2004. "Decomposition analysis of consumers' demand changes: an application to Greek consumption data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 497-504.
- Frank T. Denton & Dean C. Mountain & Byron G Spencer, 2006. "Errors of aggregation and errors of specification in a consumer demand model: a theoretical note," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1398-1407, November.
- Denton, Frank T & Mountain, Dean C & Spencer, Byron G, 1999. "Age, Trend, and Cohort Effects in a Macro Model of Canadian Expenditure Patterns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 430-43, October.
- Denton, Frank T. & Mountain, Dean C., 2001. "Income distribution and aggregation/disaggregation biases in the measurement of consumer demand elasticities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 21-28, October.
- Toshinobu Matsuda, 2006. "Linear approximations to the quadratic almost ideal demand system," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 663-675, September.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1986. "Simple Tests of Distributional Effects on Macroeconomic Equations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 763-95, August.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Blanciforti, Laura & Green, Richard, 1983. "An Almost Ideal Demand System Incorporating Habits: An Analysis of Expenditures on Food and Aggregate Commodity Groups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 511-15, August.
- Anderson, Gordon & Blundell, Richard, 1983. "Testing Restrictions in a Flexible Dynamic Demand System: An Application to Consumers' Expenditure in Canada," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 397-410, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.