The impact of American depositary receipts on the Japanese index: Do industry effect and size effect matter?
AbstractThis paper explores whether American Depositary Receipts (ADRs) affect the underlying local index (LD) for Japanese market, and such a phenomenon is considered as an adverse influence. Nonlinear Granger causality and Bayesian factor analysis are employed to investigate the nonlinear relationship between ADR and LD. The results indicate the existence of a nonlinear relationship between ADR and LD by employing Bayesian factor analysis, which has never been employed in the related issues. Next, the linear Granger causality findings reveal that the ADRs, which influence Japanese index, are not affected by industry effect rather than by size effects. Overall, most relationships between ADR and LD are nonlinear while the specific turning points of different firms influence LD. Ultimately, we also provide the related policy and economic implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
American Depositary Receipts Bayesian factor analysis Japan Nonlinear Granger causality;
Other versions of this item:
- Chen, Mei-ping & Lee, Chien-Chiang & Hsu, Yi-Chung, 2011. "The impact of American depositary receipts on the Japanese index: Do industry effect and size effect matter?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 526-539.
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Li, Kai, 2001. "The valuation of IPO and SEO firms," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 375-401, September.
- Valero, Magali & Lee, Hei Wai & Cai, Nianyun (Kelly), 2009. "Cross-listing pursuit of unseasoned foreign firms after going public in the U.S," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 797-804, August.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Fernandes, Nuno, 2006.
"Sources of gains from international portfolio diversification,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 417-443, October.
- Campa, José Manuel & Fernandes, Nuno, 2004. "Sources of Gains from International Portfolio Diversification," CEPR Discussion Papers 4390, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campa, Jose M. & Fernandes, Nuno, 2004. "Sources of gains from international portfolio diversification," IESE Research Papers D/559, IESE Business School.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Errunza, Vihang R. & Miller, Darius P., 2000. "Market Segmentation and the Cost of the Capital in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(04), pages 577-600, December.
- Ely, David & Salehizadeh, Mehdi, 2001. "American depositary receipts: An analysis of international stock price movements," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 343-363.
- Bahng, Joshua Seungwook & Shin, Seung-myo, 2003. "Do stock price indices respond asymmetrically?: Evidence from China, Japan, and South Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 541-563, August.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Sheng-Yung Yang, 2007. "Inter-day return and volatility dynamics between Japanese ADRs and their underlying securities," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(10), pages 837-853.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002.
"The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999. "The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CSEF Working Papers 28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Loughran, Tim & Savin, N. E., 2000. "Three analyses of the firm size premium," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 143-153, August.
- Bin, Feng-Shun & Blenman, Lloyd P. & Chen, Dar-Hsin, 2004. "Valuation impact of currency crises: Evidence from the ADR market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 411-432.
- Grewal, Rajdeep & Mills, Jeffrey A. & Mehta, Raj & Mujumdar, Sudesh, 2001. "Using cointegration analysis for modeling marketing interactions in dynamic environments: methodological issues and an empirical illustration," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 127-144, February.
- Majocchi, Antonio & Bacchiocchi, Emanuele & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2005. "Firm size, business experience and export intensity in SMEs: A longitudinal approach to complex relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 719-738, December.
- Koop, G. & Poirier, D., 2000.
"Bayesian Variants of Some Classical Semiparametric Regression Techniques,"
00-01-22, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Koop, Gary & Poirier, Dale J., 2004. "Bayesian variants of some classical semiparametric regression techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 259-282, December.
- Gary Koop & Dale J. Poirer, 2004. "Bayesian Variants of Some classical Semiparametric Regression Techniques," ESE Discussion Papers 73, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Silva, Ana Cristina & Chávez, Gonzalo A., 2008. "Cross-listing and liquidity in emerging market stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 420-433, March.
- Fang, Hsing & Loo, Jean C. H., 2002. "Pricing of American Depositary Receipts under Market Segmentation," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 237-252.
- Alaganar, V. T. & Bhar, Ramaprasad, 2001. "Diversification gains from American depositary receipts and foreign equities: evidence from Australian stocks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 97-113, March.
- Bae, Sung C. & Kwon, Taek Ho & Li, Mingsheng, 2008. "Foreign exchange rate exposure and risk premium in international investments: Evidence from American depositary receipts," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 165-179, April.
- Baker, H. Kent & Nofsinger, John R. & Weaver, Daniel G., 2002. "International Cross-Listing and Visibility," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(03), pages 495-521, September.
- Callaghan, Joseph H. & Kleiman, Robert T. & Sahu, Anandi P., 1999. "The market-adjusted investment performance of ADR IPOs and SEOs," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 123-145.
- Reinganum, Marc R, 1982. " A Direct Test of Roll's Conjecture on the Firm Size Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 27-35, March.
- Katty Perez Aquino & Sunil Poshakwale, 2006. "Price determinants of American Depositary Receipts (ADR): a cross-sectional analysis of panel data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(16), pages 1225-1237.
- Christo Pirinsky & Qinghai Wang, 2006. "Does Corporate Headquarters Location Matter for Stock Returns?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 1991-2015, 08.
- Eichler, Stefan & Karmann, Alexander & Maltritz, Dominik, 2009. "The ADR shadow exchange rate as an early warning indicator for currency crises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1983-1995, November.
- Huimin Chung & Tsung-Wu Ho & Ling-Ju Wei, 2005. "The dynamic relationship between the prices of ADRs and their underlying stocks: evidence from the threshold vector error correction model," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(20), pages 2387-2394.
- Grossmann, Axel & Ozuna, Teofilo & Simpson, Marc W., 2007. "ADR mispricing: Do costly arbitrage and consumer sentiment explain the price deviation?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 361-371, October.
- Hargis, Kent, 2000. "International cross-listing and stock market development in emerging economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 101-122.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.