IV threshold cointegration tests and the Taylor rule
AbstractThe usual cointegration tests often entail nuisance parameters that hinder precise inference. This problem is even more pronounced in a nonlinear threshold framework when stationary covariates are included. In this paper, we propose new threshold cointegration tests based on instrumental variables estimation. The newly suggested IV threshold cointegration tests have standard distributions that do not depend on any stationary covariates. These desirable properties allow us to formally test for threshold cointegration in a nonlinear Taylor rule. We perform this analysis using real-time U.S. data for several sample periods from 1970 to 2005. In contrast to the linear model, we find strong evidence of cointegration in a nonlinear Taylor rule with threshold effects. Overall, we find that the Federal Reserve is far more policy active when inflation is high than when inflation is low. In addition, we reaffirm the notion that the response to counteract high inflation was weakest in the 1970s and strongest in the Greenspan era.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 27 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Taylor rule Threshold cointegration IV tests;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Taylor Mark P. & Davradakis Emmanuel, 2006. "Interest Rate Setting and Inflation Targeting: Evidence of a Nonlinear Taylor Rule for the United Kingdom," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(4), pages 1-20, December.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1995.
"Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1148-1171, October.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1995. "Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 300., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Qin, Ting & Enders, Walter, 2008. "In-sample and out-of-sample properties of linear and nonlinear Taylor rules," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 428-443, March.
- Helle Bunzel & Walter Enders, 2010.
"The Taylor Rule and "Opportunistic" Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(5), pages 931-949, 08.
- Bunzel, Helle & Enders, Walter, 2005. "The Taylor Rule and 'Opportunistic' Monetary Policy," Staff General Research Papers 12301, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helle Bunzel & Walter Enders, 2009. "The Taylor Rule and “Opportunistic” Monetary Policy," CREATES Research Papers 2010-04, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jean Boivin, 2005.
"Has US Monetary Policy Changed? Evidence from Drifting Coefficients and Real-Time Data,"
NBER Working Papers
11314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boivin, Jean, 2006. "Has U.S. Monetary Policy Changed? Evidence from Drifting Coefficients and Real-Time Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1149-1173, August.
- Peter Boswijk, H., 1994. "Testing for an unstable root in conditional and structural error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 37-60, July.
- Lee, Junsoo & Strazicich, Mark C, 2001. " Break Point Estimation and Spurious Rejections with Endogenous Unit Root Tests," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(5), pages 535-58, December.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Zivot, Eric, 2000. "The Power Of Single Equation Tests For Cointegration When The Cointegrating Vector Is Prespecified," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 407-439, June.
- Croushore, Dean & Stark, Tom, 2001.
"A real-time data set for macroeconomists,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 111-130, November.
- Wan Shin, Dong & Lee, Oesook, 2003. "An instrumental variable approach for tests of unit roots and seasonal unit roots in asymmetric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 29-52, July.
- Bec Frédérique & Ben Salem Mélika & Collard Fabrice, 2002. "Asymmetries in Monetary Policy Reaction Function: Evidence for U.S. French and German Central Banks," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-22, July.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 2001.
"Monetary Policy Rules Based on Real-Time Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 964-985, September.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tom Stark & Dean Croushore, 2001.
"Forecasting with a real-time data set for macroeconomists,"
01-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Stark, Tom & Croushore, Dean, 2002. "Forecasting with a real-time data set for macroeconomists," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 507-531, December.
- Tom Stark and Dean Croushore, 2001. "Forecasting with a Real-Time Data Set for Macroeconomists," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 258, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nunes, Luis C & Newbold, Paul & Kuan, Chung-Ming, 1997. "Testing for Unit Roots with Breaks: Evidence on the Great Crash and the Unit Root Hypothesis Reconsidered," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(4), pages 435-48, November.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Hansen Bruce E., 1997.
"Inference in TAR Models,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, April.
- Tom Doan, . "THRESHTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's Test for Threshold Break," Statistical Software Components RTS00210, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Frederick Wallace, 2013.
"Cointegration tests of purchasing power parity,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 149(4), pages 779-802, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.