The effects of multinationals on host economies: A CGE approach
AbstractThis paper offers a new perspective regarding the effects on a host economy of the entry of multinational enterprises (MNEs). We use a computable general equilibrium (CGE) approach, through a version of the Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) model extended to incorporate MNEs. The analysis is applied to the Czech Republic, a country that has received substantial inflows of foreign direct investment in the last few years. A special attention has been paid to the issue of profit repatriation. We find that the negative effects of profit repatriation are sizeable, and might even offset the positive impact of the entry of MNEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 26 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Multinational enterprises Foreign direct investment Computable general equilibrium Profit repatriation Czech Republic;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow & Tiem Phamduc, 2003. "Measuring the Cost of Barriers to Trade in Services," NBER Chapters, in: Trade in Services in the Asia Pacific Region, NBER East Asia Seminar on Economics (EASE), Volume 11, pages 11-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, December.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lubomír Lízal & Jan Svejnar, 2002.
"Investment, Credit Rationing, And The Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence From Czech Panel Data,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 353-370, May.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 2001. "Investment, Credit Rationing and the Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 363, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jean, Sébastien & Guérin, Jean-Louis & Decreux, Yvan & Bchir, Mohamed Hedi, 2002.
"MIRAGE, a Computable General Equilibrium Model for Trade Policy Analysis,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/6497, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Yvan Decreux & Jean-Louis Guérin & Sébastien Jean, 2002. "MIRAGE, a Computable General Equilibrium Model for Trade Policy Analysis," Working Papers 2002-17, CEPII research center.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 2003.
"An evaluation of the performance of applied general equilibrium models of the impact of NAFTA,"
320, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 2003. "An Evaluation of the Performance of Applied General Equilibrium Models of the Impact of NAFTA," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000525, David K. Levine.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Jesper Jensen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2007.
"The Impact of Liberalizing Barriers to Foreign Direct Investment in Services: The Case of Russian Accession to the World Trade Organization,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 482-506, 08.
- Jensen, Jesper & Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David, 2004. "The impact of liberalizing barriers to foreign direct investment in services - the case of Russian accession to the World Trade Organization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3391, The World Bank.
- Caves,Richard E., 2007. "Multinational Enterprise and Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521677530, December.
- Damijan, Joze P. & Knell, Mark & Majcen, Boris & Rojec, Matija, 2003. "The role of FDI, R&D accumulation and trade in transferring technology to transition countries: evidence from firm panel data for eight transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003.
"Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004. "Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Thomas Hertel & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2004.
"How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?,"
NBER Working Papers
10477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hertel, Thomas & Hummels, David & Ivanic, Maros & Keeney, Roman, 2007. "How confident can we be of CGE-based assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 611-635, July.
- Hertel, Thomas & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2003. "How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," GTAP Working Papers 1324, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2004.
"Reducing Social Contributions for Unskilled Labor as a Way of Fighting Unemployment: An Empirical Evaluation for the Case of Spain,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(2), pages 160-, August.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Antonio Gómez Gómez-Plana, 2001. "Reducing social contributions on unskilled labour as a way of fighting unemployment: An empirical evaluation for the case of Spain," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0102, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Oscar Bajo & Antonio Gómez, 2005.
"Simulating The Effects Of The European Single Market: A Cge Analysis For Spain,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra
0503, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Gomez-Plana, Antonio G., 2005. "Simulating the effects of the European Single Market: A CGE analysis for Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 689-709, September.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, . "Simulating the effects of the European single market: a CGE analysis for Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 208, FEDEA.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, January.
- Mussa, Michael, 1974. "Tariffs and the Distribution of Income: The Importance of Factor Specificity, Substitutability, and Intensity in the Short and Long Run," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1191-1203, Nov.-Dec..
- McKitrick, Ross R., 1998. "The econometric critique of computable general equilibrium modeling: the role of functional forms," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 543-573, October.
- Caves,Richard E., 2007. "Multinational Enterprise and Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521860130, December.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Jones, Richard & Kimbell, Larry J. & Wigle, Randal, 1993. "How robust is applied general equilibrium analysis?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 99-115, February.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999.
"Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2115, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000. "Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Morris Bornstein, 2001. "Post-privatisation Enterprise Restructuring," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 189-203.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Verikios & Xiao-guang Zhang, 2001. "Global Gains from Liberalising Trade in Telecommunications and Financial Services," Others 0110005, EconWPA.
- Nobuhiro Hosoe, 2013. "Japanese Manufacturing Facing the Power Crisis after Fukushima: A Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Analysis with Foreign Direct Investment," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-01, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Álvarez-Martínez, María Teresa & Polo, Clemente, 2012. "A general equilibrium assessment of external and domestic shocks in Spain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2486-2493.
- Hiroshi Sakamoto, 2011. "CGE Analysis of Regional Policy in Northern Kyushu Area," ERSA conference papers ersa10p383, European Regional Science Association.
- María C. Latorre, 2009. "The economic analysis of multinationals and foreign direct investment: a review," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 191(4), pages 97-126, December.
- Hiroshi SAKAMOTO, 2012. "CGE Analysis of Transportation Cost and Regional Economy: East Asia and Northern Kyushu," Regional Science Inquiry, Hellenic Association of Regional Scientists, vol. 0(1), pages 121-140, June.
- Gómez-Plana, Antonio G. & Latorre, María C., 2014.
"When multinationals leave: A CGE analysis of the impact of divestments,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 8(6), pages 1-41.
- Gómez Plana, Antonio G. & Latorre, María C., 2013. "When multinationals leave: A CGE analysis of the impact of divestments," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-45, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Zhou, Jing & Latorre, María C., 2013. "The impact of FDI on the production networks between China and East Asia and the role of the U.S. and ROW as final markets," MPRA Paper 51384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.