Stability and bifurcation in a simple heterogeneous asset pricing model
AbstractStability and bifurcation analysis of deterministic systems has been widely used in modeling financial markets. We develop a simple pricing model with two types of rational traders, fundamentalists and chartists, in order to study well price behavior in financial markets, we use student t distribution to replace traditional normal distribution to describe fundamental price process. We study the stability and bifurcation of the underling deterministic system and use numerical simulation to study the dynamic of the stochastic system, including autocorrelations structures and high kurtosis of the returns. It is found that the fundamental price becomes stable (unstable) when the activities from both types of traders are balanced (unbalanced).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 26 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Asset pricing Heterogeneous beliefs Stability Bifurcation Autocorrelations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Chiarella & X-Z. He, 2001.
"Asset price and wealth dynamics under heterogeneous expectations,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(5), pages 509-526.
- Xue-Zhong (Tony) He & Carl Chiarella, 2001. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics under Heterogeneous Expectations," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 5A.2, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics Under Heterogeneous Expectations," Research Paper Series 56, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2000.
"Heterogeneous Beliefs, Risk and Learning in a Simple Asset Pricing Model with a Market Maker,"
Research Paper Series
35, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong, 2003. "Heterogeneous Beliefs, Risk, And Learning In A Simple Asset-Pricing Model With A Market Maker," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 503-536, September.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H., 1996.
"A Rational Route to Randomness,"
9530r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- repec:att:wimass:9621 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gaunersdorfer, A. & Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2003.
"Bifurcation Routes to Volatility Clustering under Evolutionary Learning,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
03-03, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Gaunersdorfer, Andrea & Hommes, Cars H. & Wagener, Florian O.O., 2008. "Bifurcation routes to volatility clustering under evolutionary learning," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 27-47, July.
- Youwei Li & Xue-Zhong (Tony) He, 2005.
"Heterogeneity, Profitability and Autocorrelations,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
244, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He & Duo Wang, 2004. "A Behavioural Asset Pricing Model with a Time-Varying Second Moment," Research Paper Series 141, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He & Cars Hommes, 2004.
"A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules,"
Research Paper Series
133, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Tony He & Cars H. Hommes, 2005. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-057/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Cars Hommes & Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2004. "A Dynamical Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 238, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chiarella, C. & He, X.-Z. & Hommes, C.H., 2004. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H., 1998.
"Heterogeneous beliefs and routes to chaos in a simple asset pricing model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1235-1274, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.