Optimal insurance under costly falsification and costly, inexact verification
AbstractThis paper integrates the often dichotomized models of costly state verification and costly claim falsification. It is found that when verification is inexact, it is possible for an optimal insurance contract to consist of both positive claim falsification and positive insurer verification, provided that falsification cost and verification cost are sufficiently low, and the insured is risk-averse satisfying constant absolute risk aversion. This result certainly contrasts with the common belief that falsification and verification are mutually exclusive in an optimal insurance contract. Some characteristics of the optimal falsification, verification, and indemnification profiles, including implementability, are analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lacker, Jeffrey M & Weinberg, John A, 1989.
"Optimal Contracts under Costly State Falsification,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1345-63, December.
- Lacker, J.M., 1989. "Optimal Contracts Under Costly State Falsification," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 956, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Picard, Pierre, 1996. "Auditing claims in the insurance market with fraud: The credibility issue," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 27-56, December.
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Png, Ivan, 1989. "Optimal Auditing, Insurance, and Redistribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 399-415, May.
- Louis Kaplow, 1996.
"Optimal Insurance Contracts When Establishing The Amount of Losses is Costly,"
NBER Working Papers
4290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louis Kaplow, 1994. "Optimal Insurance Contracts When Establishing the Amount of Losses Is Costly," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 139-152, December.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- Robert Townsend, 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Staff Report 45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Keith J. Crocker & John Morgan, 1998. "Is Honesty the Best Policy? Curtailing Insurance Fraud through Optimal Incentive Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 355-375, April.
- Marie-CÃ©cile Fagart & Pierre Picard, 1999.
"Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Pierre Picard, 1998. "Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing," Working Papers 98-47, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Fagart, M.-C. & Picard, P., 1998. "Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing," Papers 9808, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- M-C. Fagart & P. Picard, 1998. "Optimal insurance under random auditing," THEMA Working Papers 98-08, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- P. Picard, 1996.
"On the Design of Optimal Insurance Policies under Manipulation of Audit Cost,"
THEMA Working Papers
96-20, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Picard, Pierre, 2000. "On the Design of Optimal Insurance Policies under Manipulation of Audit Cost," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1049-71, November.
- Picard, Pierre, 1996. "On the design of optimal insurance policies under manipulation of audit cost," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9605, CEPREMAP.
- Picard, P., 1996. "On the design of Optimal Insurance Policies Under Manipulation of Audit Cost," Papers 9620, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, June.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
- Bond, E.W. & Crocker, K.J., 1993.
"Hardball and the Soft Touch: The Economics of Optimal Insurance Contracts with Costly State Verification and Endogenous Monitoring Costs,"
10-93-1b, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Bond, Eric W. & Crocker, Keith J., 1997. "Hardball and the soft touch: The economics of optimal insurance contracts with costly state verification and endogenous monitoring costs," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 239-264, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977.
"Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem,"
284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979. "Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, October.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.