Can heterogeneous preferences stabilize endogenous fluctuations
AbstractWhile most of the literature concerned with indeterminacy and endogenous cycles is based on the questionable assumption of a representative consumer, some recent works have investigated the role of heterogeneous agents on dynamics. This paper adds a contribution to the debate, highlighting the effects of heterogeneity in consumers' preferences within an overlapping generations economy with capital accumulation, endogenous labor supply and consumption in both periods. Using a mean-preserving approach to heterogeneity, we show that increasing the dispersion of propensities to save turns out to stabilize the macroeconomic volatility, by reducing the range of parameters compatible with indeterminacy and ruling out expectations-driven fluctuations under a sufficiently large heterogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Other versions of this item:
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2006. "Can heterogeneous preferences stabilize endogenous fluctuations ?," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06082, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2005. "Animal Spirits in Woodford and Reichlin Economies: The Representative Agent Does Matter," Documents de recherche 05-01, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Thomas Seegmuller, 2009.
"Capital-Labour Substitution And Endogenous Fluctuations: A Monopolistic Competition Approach With Variable Markup,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 301-319.
- Becker, Robert A & Foias, Ciprian, 1994.
"The Local Bifurcation of Ramsey Equilibrium,"
Springer, vol. 4(5), pages 719-44, August.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick A., 1998.
"Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 60-107, May.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick, 1996. "Multiple steady states and endogenous fluctuations with increasing returns to scale in production," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9618, CEPREMAP.
- G, Cazzavillan & T, Lloyd-Braga & P, A, Pintus, 1997. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Working Papers 97-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Christian Ghiglino & Marielle Olszak-Duquenne, 2001. "Inequalities and fluctuations in a dynamic general equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 1-24.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00194182 is not listed on IDEAS
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2005.
"Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models: When Diamond Meets Ramsey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5255, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2007. "Indeterminacy in dynamic models: When Diamond meets Ramsey," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 513-536, May.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Sorger, Gerhard, 2002. "Poverty Traps, Indeterminacy, and the Wealth Distribution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 120-139, July.
- Bosi, Stefano & Seegmuller, Thomas, 2006.
"Optimal cycles and social inequality: What do we learn from the Gini index?,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 35-46, March.
- d ASPREMONT, Claude, & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA , Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET , Louis-André, 1994. "Market Power, Coordination Failures and Endogenous Fluctuations," CORE Discussion Papers 1994068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Christian Ghiglino & Marielle Olszak-Duquenne, 2004.
"On the Impact of Heterogeneity on Indeterminacy,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
2004.09, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Pintus, Patrick A., 2006. "Capital externalities in OLG economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1215-1231, July.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997.
"Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Becker, Robert A. & Foias, Ciprian, 1987. "A characterization of Ramsey equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 173-184, February.
- Dixon,Huw David & Rankin,Neil, 1995. "The New Macroeconomics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521479479, April.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in a finance constrained economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 128-137, October.
- Ghiglino, Christian, 2005.
"Wealth inequality and dynamic stability,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 106-115, September.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Tvede, Mich, 1995.
"Endowments, stability, and fluctuations in OG models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 621-653, April.
- Christian Ghiglino & Mich Tvede, 1993. "Endowments, Stability and Fluctuations in OG Models," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 93.04, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Venditti, Alain, 2007. "Wealth inequality, preference heterogeneity and macroeconomic volatility in two-sector economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 414-441, July.
- Sorger, Gerhard, 1994. "On the Structure of Ramsey Equilibrium: Cycles, Indeterminacy, and Sunspots," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(5), pages 745-64, August.
- Ismael, Mohanad, 2011.
"Progressive income taxes and macroeconomic instability,"
49917, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohanad Ismael, 2010. "Progressive income taxes and macroeconomic instability," Documents de recherche 10-13, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Yunfang Hu & Kazuo Mino, 2009. "Financial Integration and Aggregate Stability," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-01, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Antoci, Angelo & Naimzada, Ahmad & Sodini, Mauro, 2009. "Strategic interactions and heterogeneity in a overlapping generations model with negative environmental externalities," MPRA Paper 18221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.