Habit persistence, money, and overlapping generations
AbstractThis paper provides a comprehensive characterization of the stationary and non-stationary monetary equilibria in a two-period pure exchange overlapping generations model with multiplicative habit persistence preferences. Somewhat surprisingly, the upshot is that multiplicative habit persistence preferences do not affect the qualitative properties of the dynamical system in these models. In addition, the qualitative properties of models with subtractive and multiplicative habits are largely similar. Any possibility of cyclical fluctuations beyond periodicity two is also ruled out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Other versions of this item:
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006. "Habit Persistence, Money, and Overlapping Generations," Staff General Research Papers 12405, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher D Carroll, 2000.
"Solving Consumption Models with Multiplicative Habits,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
421, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2000. "Solving consumption models with multiplicative habits," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 67-77, July.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2003.
"Two-period cycles in a three-period overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 378-401, April.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2002. "Two-Period Cycles in a Three-Period Overlapping Generations Model," Staff General Research Papers 10250, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Amartya Lahiri & Mikko Puhakka, 1996.
"Habit Persistence in Overlapping Generations Economies Under Pure Exchange,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
754, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, Amartya & Puhakka, Mikko, 1998. "Habit Persistence in Overlapping Generations Economies under Pure Exchange," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 176-186, January.
- Bullard, James & Duffy, John, 1998. "Learning And The Stability Of Cycles," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 22-48, March.
- Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Interest On Reserves And Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman'S Proposal Reconsidered,"
RCER Working Papers
119, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Smith, Bruce D, 1991. "Interest on Reserves and Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman's Proposal Reconsidered," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 93-105, January.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988.
"Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990. "Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985. "On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- Reichlin Pietro, 1997. "Endogenous Cycles in Competitive Models: An Overview," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(4), pages 1-13, January.
- Hiraguchi, Ryoji, 2008. "The overlapping generations model with habit formation: A comment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 4016-4017, December.
- Gori, Luca & Sodini, Mauro, 2012. "Indeterminacy and nonlinear dynamics in an OLG growth model with endogenous labour supply and inherited tastes," MPRA Paper 35942, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep, 2008.
"Rejuveniles and growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1055-1071, August.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep, 2006. "Rejuveniles and Growth," Staff General Research Papers 12653, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Richard C. Barnett & Joydeep Bhattacharya, 2007. "Rejuveniles and Growth," Economics Working Papers 2007-11, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Bunzel, Helle, 2010.
"Resurrecting equilibria through cycles in an overlapping generations model of money,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 515-526, June.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Bunzel, Helle, 2010. "Resurrecting Equilibria Through Cycles in an Overlapping Generations Model of Money," Staff General Research Papers 32099, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Bunzel, Helle, 2007. "Minimum Consumption Requirements and Cycles in an Overlapping Generations Model of Money," Staff General Research Papers 12834, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Luca Bossi & Pere Gomis-Porqueras, 2008.
"Consequences of Modeling Habit Persistence,"
0701, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Richard C. Barnett & Joydeep Bhattacharya & Helle Bunzel, 2007. "Resurrecting Equilibria Through Cycles," Economics Working Papers 2007-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Gómez Manuel A., 2010. "Endogenous Growth, Habit Formation and Convergence Speed," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Ahmad Naimzada & Marina Pireddu, 2013. "A positional game for an overlapping generation economy," Working Papers 247, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2013.
- Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011. "Habit formation and sunspots in overlapping generations models," Working Papers 2011-013, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Dimitrios Varvarigos, 2013. "Endogenous Cycles and Human Capital," Discussion Papers in Economics 13/18, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.