Wavelets in functional data analysis: Estimation of multidimensional curves and their derivatives
AbstractA wavelet-based method is proposed to obtain accurate estimates of curves in more than one dimension and of their derivatives. By means of simulation studies, this novel method is compared to another locally-adaptive estimation technique for multidimensional functional data, based on free-knot regression splines. This comparison shows that the proposed method is particularly attractive when the curves to be estimated present strongly localized features. The multidimensional wavelet estimation method is thus applied to multi-lead electrocardiogram records, where strongly localized features are indeed expected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Multidimensional curve fitting; Derivative estimation; Electrocardiograms;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/93541 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wang, Xiaohui & Ray, Shubhankar & Mallick, Bani K., 2007. "Bayesian Curve Classification Using Wavelets," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 962-973, September.
- Laura M. Sangalli & Piercesare Secchi & Simone Vantini & Alessandro Veneziani, 2009. "Efficient estimation of three-dimensional curves and their derivatives by free-knot regression splines, applied to the analysis of inner carotid artery centrelines," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 58(3), pages 285-306.
- Ferraty, F. & Vieu, P., 2003. "Curves discrimination: a nonparametric functional approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 161-173, October.
- Claeskens, Gerda & Hubert, Mia & Slaets, Leen & Vakili, Kaveh, 2012. "Multivariate functional halfspace depth," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/371486, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.