Multivariate mixture modeling using skew-normal independent distributions
AbstractIn this paper we consider a flexible class of models, with elements that are finite mixtures of multivariate skew-normal independent distributions. A general EM-type algorithm is employed for iteratively computing parameter estimates and this is discussed with emphasis on finite mixtures of skew-normal, skew-t, skew-slash and skew-contaminated normal distributions. Further, a general information-based method for approximating the asymptotic covariance matrix of the estimates is also presented. The accuracy of the associated estimates and the efficiency of some information criteria are evaluated via simulation studies. Results obtained from the analysis of artificial and real data sets are reported illustrating the usefulness of the proposed methodology. The proposed EM-type algorithm and methods are implemented in the R package mixsmsn.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
EM algorithm Multivariate finite mixtures Skew-normal distribution Skew-normal independent distributions;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McLachlan, G.J. & Bean, R.W. & Ben-Tovim Jones, L., 2007. "Extension of the mixture of factor analyzers model to incorporate the multivariate t-distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(11), pages 5327-5338, July.
- Cabral, Celso Rômulo Barbosa & Bolfarine, Heleno & Pereira, José Raimundo Gomes, 2008. "Bayesian density estimation using skew student-t-normal mixtures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5075-5090, August.
- Nityasuddhi, Dechavudh & Bohning, Dankmar, 2003. "Asymptotic properties of the EM algorithm estimate for normal mixture models with component specific variances," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 591-601, January.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Reinaldo B. Arellano-Valle & Adelchi Azzalini, 2006. "On the Unification of Families of Skew-normal Distributions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(3), pages 561-574.
- Basso, Rodrigo M. & Lachos, Víctor H. & Cabral, Celso Rômulo Barbosa & Ghosh, Pulak, 2010. "Robust mixture modeling based on scale mixtures of skew-normal distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 2926-2941, December.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2005. "On fundamental skew distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 93-116, September.
- Hajo Holzmann & Axel Munk & Tilmann Gneiting, 2006. "Identifiability of Finite Mixtures of Elliptical Distributions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(4), pages 753-763.
- Adelchi Azzalini, 2005. "The Skew-normal Distribution and Related Multivariate Families," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(2), pages 159-188.
- Sharon Lee & Geoffrey McLachlan, 2013. "On mixtures of skew normal and skew $$t$$ -distributions," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 241-266, September.
- Liseo, Brunero & Parisi, Antonio, 2013. "Bayesian inference for the multivariate skew-normal model: A population Monte Carlo approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 125-138.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.