Unobserved component models with asymmetric conditional variances
AbstractIn this paper, unobserved component models with GARCH disturbances are extended to allow for asymmetric responses of conditional variances to positive and negative shocks. The asymmetric conditional variance is represented by a member of the QARCH class of models. The proposed model allows to distinguish whether the possibly asymmetric conditional heteroscedasticity affects the short run or the long-run disturbances or both. We analyse the statistical properties of the new model and derive the asymptotic and finite sample properties of a QML estimator of the parameters. We propose to identify the conditional heteroscedasticity using the correlogram of the squared auxiliary residuals. Its finite sample properties are also analysed. Finally, we ilustrate the results fitting the model to represent the dynamic evolution of daily series of financial returns and gold prices, as well as of monthly series of inflation. The behaviour of volatility in both types of series is different. The conditional heteroscedasticity mainly affects the short run component in financial returns while in the inflation series, the heteroscedastic ity appears in the long-run component. We find asymmetric effects in both types of variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 50 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Other versions of this item:
- Carmen Broto & Esther Ruiz, 2003. "Unobserved Component Models With Asymmetric Conditional Variances," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws032003, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2003.
"Likelihood-Based Estimation Of Latent Generalised Arch Structures,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2003-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Likelihood-Based Estimation of Latent Generalized ARCH Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1481-1517, 09.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Neil Shephard & Gabriele Fiorentini Enrique Sentana, 2002. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-W19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," Economics Papers 2002-W19, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2003. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," FMG Discussion Papers dp453, Financial Markets Group.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990.
"Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994. "Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Charles S. Bos & Ronald J. Mahieu & Herman K. van Dijk, 2001.
"On the Variation of Hedging Decisions in Daily Currency Risk Management,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-018/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bos, C.S. & Mahieu, R.J. & van Dijk, H.K., 2000. "On the variation of hedging decisions in daily currency risk management," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-20/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Wei, Steven X., 2002. "A censored-GARCH model of asset returns with price limits," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 197-223, March.
- Maravall, Agustin, 1987. "Minimum Mean Squared Error Estimation of the Noise in Unobserved Component Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(1), pages 115-20, January.
- He, Changli & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 173-192, September.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997. "Properties of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 198, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
- Martin Evans & Paul Wachtel, 1993. "Inflation regimes and the sources of inflation uncertainty," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 475-520.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Julio Rodríguez & Esther Ruiz, 2003. "A Powerful Test For Conditional Heteroscedasticity For Financial Time Series With Highly Persistent Volatilities," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws036716, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Morgan, I G & Trevor, R G, 1999. "Limit Moves as Censored Observations of Equilibrium Futures Price in GARCH Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 397-408, October.
- Maravall, Agustin, 1983. "An Application of Nonlinear Time Series Forecasting," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(1), pages 66-74, January.
- Evans, Martin, 1991. "Discovering the Link between Inflation Rates and Inflation Uncertainty," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 169-84, May.
- Koopman S.J. & Bos C.S., 2004. "State Space Models With a Common Stochastic Variance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 346-357, July.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2004.
"Constrained Indirect Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 945-973.
- Ord, J.K. & Koehler, A. & Snyder, R.D., 1995. "Estimation and Prediction for a Class of Dynamic Nonlinear Statistical Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/95, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Allan D. Brunner & Gregory D. Hess, 1990.
"Are higher levels of inflation less predictable? A state-dependent conditional heteroskedasticity approach,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
141, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunner, Allan D & Hess, Gregory D, 1993. "Are Higher Levels of Inflation Less Predictable? A State-Dependent Conditional Heteroscedasticity Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 187-97, April.
- Enrique Sentana & Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2004. "Indirect Estimation Of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Models," Working Papers wp2004_0409, CEMFI.
- Sentana,E., 1995.
"Quadratic Arch Models,"
9517, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Pellegrini, Santiago & Ruiz, Esther & Espasa, Antoni, 2010. "Conditionally heteroscedastic unobserved component models and their reduced form," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 88-90, May.
- Charles S. Bos & Siem Jan Koopman, 2010. "Models with Time-varying Mean and Variance: A Robust Analysis of U.S. Industrial Production," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-017/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Broto Carmen & Ruiz Esther, 2009.
"Testing for Conditional Heteroscedasticity in the Components of Inflation,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(2), pages 1-30, May.
- Carmen Broto & Esther Ruiz, 2008. "Testing for conditional heteroscedasticity in the components of inflation," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0812, Banco de Espa�a.
- Broto, Carmen, 2011.
"Inflation targeting in Latin America: Empirical analysis using GARCH models,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1424-1434, May.
- Carmen Broto, 2008. "Inflation targeting in Latin America: Empirical analysis using GARCH models," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0826, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Giorgio Calzolari & Enrique Sentana, 2007.
"Indirect estimation of large conditionally heteroskedastic factor models, with an application to the Dow 30 stocks,"
Working Paper Series
40-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 2008. "Indirect estimation of large conditionally heteroskedastic factor models, with an application to the Dow 30 stocks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 10-25, September.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & Lin, Edward M.H., 2008. "Volatility forecasting using threshold heteroskedastic models of the intra-day range," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2990-3010, February.
- Haas, Markus & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2008.
"Asymmetric multivariate normal mixture GARCH,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/07, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.