The co-movement of stock markets in East Asia: Did the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis really strengthen stock market integration?
AbstractThis paper examines the integration and causality of interdependencies among seven major East Asian stock exchanges before, during, and after the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis. For this purpose, we use daily stock market data from July 1, 1992 to June 30, 2003 in local currency as well as US dollar terms. The data reveal that the relationships among East Asian stock markets are time varying. While stock market interactions are limited before the Asian financial crisis, we find that Hong Kong and Singapore respond significantly to shocks in most other East Asian markets, including Shanghai and Shenzhen, during this crisis. After the crisis, shocks in Hong Kong and Singapore largely affect other East Asian stock markets, except for those in Mainland China. Finally, considering the role of the USA shows that it strongly influences stock returns in East Asia - except for Mainland China - in all periods, while the reverse does not hold true.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal China Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 21 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco
Stock market interdependencies Asian financial crisis VAR analysis Co-integration;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dekker, Arie & Sen, Kunal & Young, Martin R., 2001. "Equity market linkages in the Asia Pacific region: A comparison of the orthogonalised and generalised VAR approaches," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-33.
- Eric Girardin & Zhenya Liu, 2007.
"The financial integration of China: New evidence on temporally aggregated data for the A-share market,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
160, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Girardin, Eric & Liu, Zhenya, 2007. "The financial integration of China: New evidence on temporally aggregated data for the A-share market," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 354-371.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Frank Westermann, 2004. "Does the Euro affect the dynamic interactions of stock markets in Europe? Evidence from France, Germany and Italy," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 139-148.
- Groenwold, Nicolaas & Tang, Sam Hak Kan & Wu, Yanrui, 2004.
"The dynamic interrelationships between the greater China share markets,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 45-62, January.
- Nicolaas Groenewold & Sam Hak Kan Tang & Yanrui Wu, 2002. "The Dynamic Interrelationships Between the Greater China Share Markets," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-02, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Korajczyk, Robert A., 1995.
"A measure of stock market integration for developed and emerging markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1482, The World Bank.
- Korajczyk, Robert A, 1996. "A Measure of Stock Market Integration for Developed and Emerging Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 267-89, May.
- Masih, Rumi & Masih, Abul M. M., 2001. "Long and short term dynamic causal transmission amongst international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 563-587, August.
- Gary Gang Tian & Guang Hua Wan, 2004. "Interaction among China-related stocks: evidence from a causality test with a new procedure," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 67-72.
- Kam C. Chan & Benton E. Gup & Ming-Shiun Pan, 1997. "International Stock Market Efficiency and Integration: A Study of Eighteen Nations," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 803-813.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Bahng, Joshua Seungwook & Shin, Seung-myo, 2003. "Do stock price indices respond asymmetrically?: Evidence from China, Japan, and South Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 541-563, August.
- Brocato, Joe & Smith, Kenneth L, 1989. "Velocity and the Variability of Money Growth: Evidence from Granger-Causality Tests: Comment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 258-61, May.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jian Yang & James Kolari & Insik Min, 2003. "Stock market integration and financial crises: the case of Asia," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 477-486.
- Janakiramanan, Sundaram & Lamba, Asjeet S., 1998. "An empirical examination of linkages between Pacific-Basin stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Friedman, Joseph & Shachmurove, Yochanan, 1997. "Co-movements of major European community stock markets: A vector autoregression analysis," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 257-277.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Bessler, David A. & Yang, Jian, 2003. "The structure of interdependence in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 261-287, April.
- Hsiao, Frank S. T. & Hsiao, Mei-chu W. & Yamashita, Akio, 2003. "The impact of the US economy on the Asia-Pacific region: does it matter?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 219-241, April.
- Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi, 1999. "Are Asian stock market fluctuations due mainly to intra-regional contagion effects? Evidence based on Asian emerging stock markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 251-282, August.
- Click, Reid W. & Plummer, Michael G., 2005. "Stock market integration in ASEAN after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28, February.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Roca, Eduardo D., 2004. "Do birds of the same feather flock together?: The case of the Chinese states equity markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 281-294, July.
- Burdekin, Richard C.K. & Siklos, Pierre L., 2012.
"Enter the dragon: Interactions between Chinese, US and Asia-Pacific equity markets, 1995–2010,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 521-541.
- Richard C. K. Burdekin & Pierre L. Siklos, 2011. "Enter the Dragon: Interactions between Chinese, US and Asia-Pacific Equity Markets, 1995-2010," CAMA Working Papers 2011-35, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Richard C. K. Burdekin & Pierre L. Siklos, 2011. "Enter the Dragon: Interactions between Chinese, US and Asia-Pacific Equity Markets, 1995-2010," Working Papers 232011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.