Has China displaced other Asian countries' exports?
AbstractThis paper uses gravity modelling to explore whether and how the growth of China's exports is displacing exports of other Asian countries to third markets over the period 1990-2003. Chinese exports are defined both narrowly and more broadly to include exports from Hong Kong. We investigate whether the displacement effect on Asian exports differs when exports from Hong Kong and China are combined compared to the narrow case of Chinese exports only. Aggregate and disaggregated analyses are undertaken. In the latter, we explore whether the displacement effect varies across Asian countries and in trade with different types of countries. We find evidence of a displacement effect which is more pronounced in developed markets and stronger for Hong Kong and China combined. Further it is the high income Asian exporters that experienced a greater displacement effect. We also investigate whether China's development has generated any offsetting effects on its neighbours' exports to China itself and find that Chinese growth has indeed increased China's imports from the Asian countries in the sample and in particular from Japan and Korea.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal China Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 19 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio, 2009.
"Volatility dependence across Asia-Pacific onshore and offshore currency forwards markets,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20903, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Colavecchio, Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2009. "Volatility dependence across Asia-Pacific onshore and offshore currency forwards markets," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 174-196, March.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Michael Funke, 2009. "Volatility Dependence across Asia-Pacific Onshore and Offshore Currency Forwards Markets," Working Papers 112009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2012. "Asian trade flows: Trends, patterns and prospects," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 150-162.
- Sun, Sizhong, 2012. "The role of FDI in domestic exporting: Evidence from China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 434-441.
- Adrian Wood & Jörg Mayer, 2011.
"Has China de-industrialised other developing countries?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 147(2), pages 325-350, June.
- Adrian Wood (ODID), Joerg Mayer (UNCTAD), . "Has China de-industrialised other developing countries?," QEH Working Papers qehwps175, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Park, Donghyun & Shin, Kwanho, 2010.
"Can Trade with the People’s Republic of China Be an Engine of Growth for Developing Asia ,"
Asian Development Review,
Asian Development Bank, vol. 27(1), pages 160-181.
- Park, Donghyun & Shin, Kwanho, 2009. "Can Trade with the People’s Republic of China be an Engine of Growth for Developing Asia?," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 172, Asian Development Bank.
- Ivan Roberts & Anthony Rush, 2010. "Sources of Chinese Demand for Resource Commodities," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2010-08, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Chan, Tze-Haw & Lean, Hooi Hooi & Hooy, Chee Wooi, 2013. "A Macro Assessment of China Effects on Malaysian Exports and Trade Balances," MPRA Paper 48801, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Aug 2013.
- Fu, Xiaolan & Kaplinsky, Raphael & Zhang, Jing, 2012. "The Impact of China on Low and Middle Income Countries’ Export Prices in Industrial-Country Markets," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1483-1496.
- Roberts, Ivan & Rush, Anthony, 2012. "Understanding China's demand for resource imports," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 566-579.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.