Bank market power, economic growth and financial stability: Evidence from Asian banks
AbstractThis paper examines whether Asian banks are still prone to moral hazard in the aftermath of the 1997 Asian crisis. Using a sample of commercial banks from 12 Asian countries during the 2001–2007 period, our empirical findings highlight that greater market power in the banking market results in higher instability. Although banks are better capitalized in less competitive markets their default risk remains higher. A deeper investigation however shows that such behaviour is dependent on the economic environment. Higher economic growth contributes to neutralize greater risk taking and higher instability in less competitive markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Market power; Financial fragility; Economic growth; Asian banks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reddy, Kotapati Srinivasa & Nangia, Vinay Kumar & Agrawal, Rajat, 2013. "Indian economic-policy reforms, bank mergers, and lawful proposals: The ex-ante and ex-post ‘lookup’," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 601-622.
- Fu, Xiaoqing (Maggie) & Lin, Yongjia (Rebecca) & Molyneux, Philip, 2014. "Bank competition and financial stability in Asia Pacific," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 64-77.
- Nguyen, My & Skully, Michael & Perera, Shrimal, 2012. "Bank market power and revenue diversification: Evidence from selected ASEAN countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 688-700.
- Wahyoe Soedarmono & Fouad Machrouh & Amine Tarazi, 2012.
"Bank Competition, Crisis and Risk-Taking: Evidence from Emerging Markets in Asia,"
- Soedarmono, Wahyoe & Machrouh, Fouad & Tarazi, Amine, 2013. "Bank competition, crisis and risk taking: Evidence from emerging markets in Asia," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 196-221.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.