Trilemma and macroeconomic policies under different financial structures in Indonesia
AbstractThis paper examines the macroeconomic "trilemma" and international capital flows under different financial structures in Indonesia. The paper also reviews uncovered interest parity and uncovered equity return parity conditions. We divide the period of analysis into two sub-periods: before and after the Asian financial crisis of 1997/1998. The exchange rate was managed before the Asian financial crisis and floated afterwards. We find that the domestic interest rate followed the movement of the benchmark rate before the crisis. This fact signifies limited monetary policy freedom. However, exchange rate movement seems to be influenced by factors other than interest rates during the whole period. Interestingly, we find that international capital flows did not respond as expected to changes in the domestic interest rate after the crisis. The paper concludes with considerations on the efficacy of monetary and fiscal policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Trilemma Mundell-Fleming Uncovered interest parity Monetary policy Fiscal policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takatoshi ITO, 2007. "Asian Currency Crisis and the International Monetary Fund, 10 Years Later: Overview," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 2(1), pages 16-49.
- Harald Hau & Hélène Rey, 2006.
"Exchange Rates, Equity Prices, and Capital Flows,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(1), pages 273-317.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Shambaugh, Jay C. & Taylor, Alan M., 2004.
"The Trilemma in History: Tradeoffs among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies, and Capital Mobility,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt4rq9v2rb, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2005. "The Trilemma in History: Tradeoffs Among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies, and Capital Mobility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 423-438, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2004. "The Trilemma in History: Tradeoffs among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies, and Capital Mobility," NBER Working Papers 10396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay Shambaugh & Alan Taylor, 2004. "The Trilemma in History: Tradeoffs among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies, and Capital Mobility," International Finance 0407003, EconWPA.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Shambaugh, Jay C & Taylor, Alan M, 2004. "The Trilemma in History: Trade-offs Among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies and Capital Mobility," CEPR Discussion Papers 4352, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C.Shambaugh & Alan M.Taylor, 2003. "The Trilemma in History:Tradeoffs among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies,and Capital Mobility," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 94, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Jay C. Shambaugh, 2004. "The Effect of Fixed Exchange Rates on Monetary Policy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 300-351, February.
- Hau, Harald & Rey, Hélène, 2004.
"Can Portfolio Rebalancing Explain the Dynamics of Equity Returns, Equity Flows and Exchange Rates?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4517, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harald Hau & Hélène Rey, 2004. "Can Portfolio Rebalancing Explain the Dynamics of Equity Returns, Equity Flows, and Exchange Rates?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 126-133, May.
- Harald Hau & Helene Rey, 2004. "Can Portfolio Rebalancing Explain the Dynamics of Equity Returns, Equity Flows, and Exchange Rates?," NBER Working Papers 10476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1996.
"Inflows of capital to developing countries in the 1990s,"
13707, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-139, Spring.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & De Santis, Roberto A., 2005. "Explaining exchange rate dynamics: the uncovered equity return parity condition," Working Paper Series 0529, European Central Bank.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Chudozie Okongwu, 1995.
"Liberalized portfolio capital inflows in emerging markets: sterilization, expectations and the incompleteness of interest rate convergence,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
95-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Okongwu, Chudozie, 1996. "Liberalized Portfolio Capital Inflows in Emerging Markets: Sterilization, Expectations, and the Incompleteness of Interest Rate Convergence," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Chudozie Okongwu., 1995. "Liberalized Portfolio Capital Inflows in Emerging Markets: Sterilization, Expectations, and the Incompleteness of Interest Rate Convergence," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-054, University of California at Berkeley.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 2002.
"Uncovered Interest Parity in Crisis,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(2), pages 6.
- Montiel, Peter J., 1993.
"Capital mobility in developing countries : some measurement issues and empirical estimates,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1103, The World Bank.
- Montiel, Peter J, 1994. "Capital Mobility in Developing Countries: Some Measurement Issues and Empirical Estimates," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 311-50, September.
- Chinn, Menzie D., 2006. "The (partial) rehabilitation of interest rate parity in the floating rate era: Longer horizons, alternative expectations, and emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 7-21, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.