Asian FTAs: Trends, prospects and challenges
AbstractAlthough a latecomer, economically important Asia has emerged at the forefront of global free trade agreement (FTA) activity. This has sparked concerns about the negative effects of Asian FTAs, including the "noodle bowl" problem. Amid slow progress in the World Trade Organization's (WTO) Doha negotiations and the global financial crisis, however, Asian regionalism seems to be here to stay. The focus for policymakers should then be how best to minimize the costs of FTAs while maximizing their benefits. Adopting a pragmatic perspective, this paper examines key trends and challenges in Asian FTAs. It provides new evidence from firm surveys, analysis of specific agreements, and computable general equilibrium estimates. It provides the following set of recommendations: strengthen the support system for using FTAs; rationalize rules of origin and upgrade their administration; ensure better coverage of agricultural trade; forge comprehensive "WTO-plus" agreements; and encourage a region-wide FTA. Political economy considerations suggest that a likely scenario is for FTA consolidation in Asia--by creating a People's Republic of China-Japan-Korea FTA, combining it with ASEANÂ +Â 1 FTAs, and then involving Australia, India, and New Zealand--to be followed by connections with North America and Europe. In conclusion, the analysis suggests a bottom-up approach to a Doha Round Agreement should be adopted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Asian free trade agreements (FTAs) Noodle bowl WTO-plus provisions East Asia-wide FTA;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francois, Joseph & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2008.
"Economic Implications of Deeper Asian Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6976, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Siow Yue Chia, 2010. "Regional Trade Policy Cooperation and Architecture in East Asia," Trade Working Papers 22029, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Martin, Will & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2009.
"Conclude Doha : it matters !,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5135, The World Bank.
- Shujiro Urata, 2004. "The Emergence and Proliferation of Free Trade Agreements in East Asia," Japanese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(2), pages 5-52, July.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2008. "FDI and Innovation as Drivers of Export Behaviour: Firm-level Evidence from East Asia," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 061, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Caroline Freund, 2010. "Third‐country Effects of Regional Trade Agreements," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(11), pages 1589-1605, November.
- Freund, Caroline & Ornelas, Emanuel, 2010.
"Regional trade agreements,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5314, The World Bank.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2008. "FDI and Innovation as Drivers of Export Behaviour: Firm-level Evidence from East Asia," MERIT Working Papers 061, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Michael G. Plummer, 2007.
"The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future,"
Working Paper Series
12-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Michael G. Plummer & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2006. "The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 107, pages 59-85.
- Plummer, Michael G. & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2007. "The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 9, Asian Development Bank.
- Manchin, Miriam & Pelkmans-Balaoing, Annette O., 2007. "Rules of origin and the web of East Asian free trade agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4273, The World Bank.
- TAKAHASHI Katsuhide & URATA Shujiro, 2008. "On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms," Discussion papers 08002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Masahiro Kawai & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2009. "The Asian â€œNoodle Bowlâ€:Is It Serious for Business?," Working Papers id:1936, eSocialSciences.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Lee, Hiro & Owen, Robert F. & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2009. "Regional integration in Asia and its effects on the EU and North America," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 240-254, May.
- Chia, Siow Yue, 2010. "Regional Trade Policy Cooperation and Architecture in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 191, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2010. "Regional trade agreements: blessing or burden?," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 313, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Michel Fouquin, 2006. "Economic Integration in Asia: Bilateral Free Trade Agreements Versus Asian Single Market," Working Papers 2006-15, CEPII research center.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 2005. "East Asian economic regionalism: progress and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 29-55, February.
- C. Fred Bergsten, 2007. "Toward a Free Trade Area of the Asia Pacific," Policy Briefs PB07-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Francois Joseph F & Wignaraja Ganeshan, 2008. "Economic Implications of Asian Integration," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-48, September.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish, 2008. "Termites in the Trading System: How Preferential Agreements Undermine Free Trade," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195331653.
- Philippa Dee, 2011.
"Promoting Domestic Reforms Through Regionalism,"
Crawford School Research Papers
1107, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Dee, Philippa & McNaughton, Anne, 2011. "Promoting Domestic Reforms through Regionalism," ADBI Working Papers 312, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Philippa Dee & Anne McNaughton, 2011. "Promoting Domestic Reforms through Regionalism," Governance Working Papers 23224, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter A. Petri, 2010. "AsiaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Role in the Global Economic Architecture," Governance Working Papers 22728, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mia Mikic & Mochamad Pasha (ed.), 2011. "Fighting Irrelevance: The Role of Regional Trade Agreements in International Production Networks in Asia," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), number tipub2597, July.
- Yose Rizal Damuri, . "East Asian Regionalism and the Multilateral Trading System ERIA," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Wendy Dobson, 2011. "History Matters: China and Global Governance," Working Papers Series 20, Rotman Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, revised Jan 2011.
- Capannelli, Giovanni & Tan, See Seng, 2012. "Institutions for Asian Integration: Innovation and Reform," ADBI Working Papers 375, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Yiping Huang & Bijun Wang, 2011. "From the Asian Miracle to an Asian Century? Economic Transformation in the 2000s and Prospects for the 2010s," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Hugo Gerard & Jonathan Kearns (ed.), The Australian Economy in the 2000s Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jürgen Rüland, 2012. "The rise of “diminished multilateralism”: East Asian and European forum shopping in global governance," Asia Europe Journal, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 255-270, March.
- Masahiro Kawai & Shujiro Urata, 2010. "Changing Commercial Policy in Japan During 1985Ã¢â‚¬â€œ2010," Trade Working Papers 23056, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Stephenson, Sherry & Roberts, Maryse, 2011. "Evaluating the Contributions of Regional Trade Agreements to Governance of Services Trade," ADBI Working Papers 307, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter A. Petri, 2010. "Asiaâ€™s Role in the Global Financial Architecture," Working Papers id:2958, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.