Decomposing exchange rate volatility around the Pacific Rim
AbstractVolatility in exchange rates is decomposed into components associated with domestic and international concerns for six Pacific Rim currencies. A latent factor model is used to model bilateral exchange rate changes as the weighted sum of three factors; two factors are uniquely associated with each of the currencies involved in the exchange rates and the other represents world shocks common to all exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Other versions of this item:
- Mardi H Dungey, 1999. "Decomposing Exchange Rate Volatility Around the Pacific Rim," Working Papers 1999.12, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
- Clements, Kenneth W. & Fry, Renée, 2008.
"Commodity currencies and currency commodities,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 55-73, June.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Renee Fry, 2006. "Commodity Currencies And Currency Commodities," CAMA Working Papers 2006-19, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Renee Fry, 2006. "Commodity Currencies and Currency Commodities," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 06-17, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Hawkesby, Christian & Marsh, Ian W. & Stevens, Ibrahim, 2007. "Comovements in the equity prices of large complex financial institutions," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 391-411, March.
- Christian Hawkesby & Ian W Marsh & Ibrahim Stevens, 2005. "Comovements in the prices of securities issued by large complex financial institutions," Bank of England working papers 256, Bank of England.
- Dungey, Mardi, 2004. "Identifying terms of trade effects in real exchange rate movements: evidence from Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 217-235, April.
- Shakila Aruman, 2003. "The Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Intervention in Australia: A Factor Model Approach with GARCH Specifications," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 135, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Renee Fry & Vance Martin & Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Mardi Dungey, 2002. "International Contagion Effects from the Russian Crisis and the LTCM Near-Collapse," IMF Working Papers 02/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Angelo Polydoro, 2005. "Contagion in Latin America," Macroeconomics 0503008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.