A review of computer tools for analysing the integration of renewable energy into various energy systems
AbstractThis paper includes a review of the different computer tools that can be used to analyse the integration of renewable energy. Initially 68 tools were considered, but 37 were included in the final analysis which was carried out in collaboration with the tool developers or recommended points of contact. The results in this paper provide the information necessary to identify a suitable energy tool for analysing the integration of renewable energy into various energy-systems under different objectives. It is evident from this paper that there is no energy tool that addresses all issues related to integrating renewable energy, but instead the [`]ideal' energy tool is highly dependent on the specific objectives that must be fulfilled. The typical applications for the 37 tools reviewed (from analysing single-building systems to national energy-systems), combined with numerous other factors such as the energy-sectors considered, technologies accounted for, time parameters used, tool availability, and previous studies, will alter the perception of the [`]ideal' energy tool. In conclusion, this paper provides the information necessary to direct the decision-maker towards a suitable energy tool for an analysis that must be completed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Applied Energy.
Volume (Year): 87 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hongyu Long & Kunyao Xu & Ruilin Xu & Jianjun He, 2012. "More Wind Power Integration with Adjusted Energy Carriers for Space Heating in Northern China," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(9), pages 3279-3294, August.
- René Aïd & Luciano Campi & Nicolas Langrené & Huyên Pham, 2012. "A probabilistic numerical method for optimal multiple switching problem and application to investments in electricity generation," Working Papers hal-00747229, HAL.
- Mathiesen, Brian Vad & Lund, Henrik & Karlsson, Kenneth, 2011. "100% Renewable energy systems, climate mitigation and economic growth," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 488-501, February.
- Chellali, Farouk & Khellaf, Adballah & Belouchrani, Adel & Recioui, Abdelmadjid, 2011. "A contribution in the actualization of wind map of Algeria," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 993-1002, February.
- Erdinc, O. & Uzunoglu, M., 2012. "Optimum design of hybrid renewable energy systems: Overview of different approaches," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 1412-1425.
- Ren\'e A\"id & Luciano Campi & Nicolas Langren\'e & Huy\^en Pham, 2012. "A probabilistic numerical method for optimal multiple switching problem and application to investments in electricity generation," Papers 1210.8175, arXiv.org.
- Suganthi, L. & Samuel, Anand A., 2012. "Energy models for demand forecasting—A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 1223-1240.
- Niknam, Taher & Taheri, Seyed Iman & Aghaei, Jamshid & Tabatabaei, Sajad & Nayeripour, Majid, 2011. "A modified honey bee mating optimization algorithm for multiobjective placement of renewable energy resources," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 4817-4830.
- Tuohy, A. & O'Malley, M., 2011. "Pumped storage in systems with very high wind penetration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 1965-1974, April.
- Kalampalikas, Nikolaos G. & Pilavachi, Petros A., 2010. "A model for the development of a power production system in Greece, Part I: Where RES do not meet EU targets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6499-6513, November.
- Liu, Wen & Lund, Henrik & Mathiesen, Brian Vad, 2013. "Modelling the transport system in China and evaluating the current strategies towards the sustainable transport development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 347-357.
- Prasanna, U.R. & Umanand, L., 2011. "Modeling and design of a solar thermal system for hybrid cooking application," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 1740-1755, May.
- Baños, R. & Manzano-Agugliaro, F. & Montoya, F.G. & Gil, C. & Alcayde, A. & Gómez, J., 2011. "Optimization methods applied to renewable and sustainable energy: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1753-1766, May.
- Bambawale, Malavika Jain & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2011. "China's energy security: The perspective of energy users," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 1949-1956, May.
- Kalampalikas, Nikolaos G. & Pilavachi, Petros A., 2010. "A model for the development of a power production system in Greece, Part II: Where RES meet EU targets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6514-6528, November.
- Kambezidis, Harry D. & Kasselouri, Barbara & Konidari, Popi, 2011. "Evaluating policy options for increasing the RES-E penetration in Greece," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5388-5398, September.
- Yeo, In-Ae & Yoon, Seong-Hwan & Yee, Jurng-Jae, 2013. "Development of an urban energy demand forecasting system to support environmentally friendly urban planning," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 304-317.
- Alessandro Franco & Pasquale Salza, 2011. "Perspectives for the long-term penetration of new renewables in complex energy systems: the Italian scenario," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 309-330, April.
- Abolfazl Shiroudi & Seyed Taklimi & Seyed Mousavifar & Peyman Taghipour, 2013. "Stand-alone PV-hydrogen energy system in Taleghan-Iran using HOMER software: optimization and techno-economic analysis," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 15(5), pages 1389-1402, October.
- Krajacic, Goran & Duic, Neven & Tsikalakis, Antonis & Zoulias, Manos & Caralis, George & Panteri, Eirini & Carvalho, Maria da Graça, 2011. "Feed-in tariffs for promotion of energy storage technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1410-1425, March.
- Pina, André & Silva, Carlos & Ferrão, Paulo, 2011. "Modeling hourly electricity dynamics for policy making in long-term scenarios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4692-4702, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.