Is it better to import palm oil from Thailand to produce biodiesel in Ireland than to produce biodiesel from indigenous Irish rape seed?
AbstractThe proposed EU Directive on the promotion of Renewable Energy stipulates that only biofuels that achieve greenhouse emissions savings of 35% will be eligible for inclusion with respect to meeting the 2020 target of 10% for the share of biofuels. This paper examines biodiesel for use in Ireland, produced from two different sources: indigenous rape seed and palm oil imported from Thailand. The palm oil system generates more biodiesel per hectare than the rape seed system, and has less parasitic demand. Greenhouse-gas reductions of 29% and 55%, respectively were calculated for the rape seed and palm oil systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Applied Energy.
Volume (Year): 86 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gernot Pehnelt & Christoph Vietze, 2013. "Quo Vadis European Biofuel Policy: The Case of Rapeseed Biodiesel," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-015, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Lin, Lin & Cunshan, Zhou & Vittayapadung, Saritporn & Xiangqian, Shen & Mingdong, Dong, 2011. "Opportunities and challenges for biodiesel fuel," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(4), pages 1020-1031, April.
- Demirbas, Ayhan, 2011. "Biodiesel from oilgae, biofixation of carbon dioxide by microalgae: A solution to pollution problems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(10), pages 3541-3547.
- Kathrin Sunde & Andreas Brekke & Birger Solberg, 2011. "Environmental Impacts and Costs of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oils, Transesterified Lipids and Woody BTL—A Review," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(6), pages 845-877, May.
- Shu, Qing & Gao, Jixian & Nawaz, Zeeshan & Liao, Yuhui & Wang, Dezheng & Wang, Jinfu, 2010. "Synthesis of biodiesel from waste vegetable oil with large amounts of free fatty acids using a carbon-based solid acid catalyst," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(8), pages 2589-2596, August.
- Dijkman, T.J. & Benders, R.M.J., 2010. "Comparison of renewable fuels based on their land use using energy densities," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 3148-3155, December.
- Gernot Pehnelt & Christoph Vietze, 2012. "Uncertainties about the GHG Emissions Saving of Rapeseed Biodiesel," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-039, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Singh, Anoop & Smyth, Beatrice M. & Murphy, Jerry D., 2010. "A biofuel strategy for Ireland with an emphasis on production of biomethane and minimization of land-take," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 277-288, January.
- Balat, Mustafa & Balat, Havva, 2010. "Progress in biodiesel processing," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(6), pages 1815-1835, June.
- Demirbas, Ayhan, 2011. "Competitive liquid biofuels from biomass," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 17-28, January.
- Demirbas, M. Fatih, 2011. "Biofuels from algae for sustainable development," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(10), pages 3473-3480.
- Tan, Raymond R. & Aviso, Kathleen B. & Barilea, Ivan U. & Culaba, Alvin B. & Cruz, Jose B., 2012. "A fuzzy multi-regional input–output optimization model for biomass production and trade under resource and footprint constraints," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 154-160.
- Malça, João & Freire, Fausto, 2011. "Life-cycle studies of biodiesel in Europe: A review addressing the variability of results and modeling issues," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 338-351, January.
- Goh, Chun Sheng & Lee, Keat Teong, 2010. "Palm-based biofuel refinery (PBR) to substitute petroleum refinery: An energy and emergy assessment," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2986-2995, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.