Irrigation evaluation based on performance analysis and water accounting at the Bear River Irrigation Project (U.S.A.)
AbstractThe purpose of this work is to contribute to the development of a combined approach to evaluate irrigated areas based on: (1) irrigation performance analysis intended to assess the productive impacts of irrigation practices and infrastructures, and (2) water accounting focused on the hydrological impacts of water use. Ador-Simulation, a combined model that simulates irrigation, water delivery, and crop growth and production was applied in a surface irrigated area (1213Â ha) located in the Bear River Irrigation Project, Utah, U.S.A.. A soil survey, a campaign of on-farm irrigation evaluations and an analysis of the database from the Bear River Canal Company and other resources were performed in order to obtain the data required to simulate the water flows of the study area in 2008. Net land productivity (581Â US$Â ha-1) was 20% lower than the potential value, whereas on-farm irrigation efficiency (IE) averaged only 60%. According to the water accounting, water use amounted to 14.24Â Mm3, 86% of which was consumed through evapotranspiration or otherwise non-recoverable. Gross water productivity over depleted water reached 0.132Â US$Â m-3. In addition, two strategies for increasing farm productivity were analyzed. These strategies intended to improve water management and infrastructures raised on-farm IE to 90% reducing the gap between current and potential productivities by about 50%. Water diverted to the project was reduced by 2.64Â Mm3. An analysis based on IE could lead to think that this volume would be saved. However, the water accounting showed that actually only 0.91Â Mm3 would be available for alternative uses. These results provide insights to support the decision-making processes of farmers, water user associations, river basin authorities and policy makers. Water accounting overcomes the limitations and hydrological misunderstandings of traditional analysis based on irrigation efficiency to assess irrigated areas in the context of water scarcity and competitive agricultural markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Agricultural Water Management.
Volume (Year): 98 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agwat
Land productivity Surface irrigation Water accounting Water balance Water consumption Water depletion Water management Water productivity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molden, D. J. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Perry, C. J. & de Fraiture, C. & Kloezen, W. H., 1998. "Indicators for comparing performance of irrigated agricultural systems," IWMI Research Reports H022308, International Water Management Institute.
- Flake, John & Moon, Todd K. & McKee, Mac & Gunther, Jacob H., 2010. "Application of the relevance vector machine to canal flow prediction in the Sevier River Basin," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 208-214, February.
- Playan, E. & Slatni, A. & Castillo, R. & Faci, J. M., 2000. "A case study for irrigation modernisation: II: Scenario analysis," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 335-354, January.
- Mateos, Luciano & Lozano, David & Baghil, Ahmed Baba Ould & Diallo, Oumar Abdoul & Gómez-Macpherson, Helena & Comas, Jordi & Connor, David, 2010. "Irrigation performance before and after rehabilitation of a representative, small irrigation scheme besides the Senegal River, Mauritania," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(6), pages 901-909, June.
- Dechmi, F. & Playan, E. & Faci, J. M. & Tejero, M. & Bercero, A., 2003. "Analysis of an irrigation district in northeastern Spain: II. Irrigation evaluation, simulation and scheduling," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 93-109, June.
- Akbari, Mehdi & Toomanian, Norair & Droogers, Peter & Bastiaanssen, Wim & Gieske, Ambro, 2007. "Monitoring irrigation performance in Esfahan, Iran, using NOAA satellite imagery," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-3), pages 99-109, March.
- Playan, E. & Cavero, J. & Mantero, I. & Salvador, R. & Lecina, S. & Faci, J.M. & Andres, J. & Salvador, V. & Cardena, G. & Ramon, S. & Lacueva, J.L. & Tejero, M. & Ferri, J. & Martinez-Cob, A., 2007. "A database program for enhancing irrigation district management in the Ebro Valley (Spain)," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 209-216, January.
- Bos, M. G. & Burton, M. A. & Molden, David J., 2005. "Irrigation and drainage performance assessment: practical guidelines," IWMI Books, Reports H037064, International Water Management Institute.
- Seckler, D., 1996. "The new era of water resources management: from "dry" to "wet" water savings," IWMI Books, Reports H018206, International Water Management Institute.
- Perry, C. J., 1999. "The IWMI water resources paradigm - definitions and implications," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 45-50, March.
- Perry, C. J., 1996. "The IIMI water balance framework: a model for project level analysis," IWMI Books, Reports H019241, International Water Management Institute.
- Isidoro, D. & Quilez, D. & Aragues, R., 2004. "Water balance and irrigation performance analysis: La Violada irrigation district (Spain) as a case study," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 123-142, January.
- Lecina, S. & Playan, E. & Isidoro, D. & Dechmi, F. & Causape, J. & Faci, J.M., 2005. "Irrigation evaluation and simulation at the Irrigation District V of Bardenas (Spain)," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 223-245, May.
- Molden, David & Oweis, Theib & Steduto, Pasquale & Bindraban, Prem & Hanjra, Munir A. & Kijne, Jacob, 2010. "Improving agricultural water productivity: Between optimism and caution," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(4), pages 528-535, April.
- Molden, D. J. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Perry, C. J. & de Fraiture, C. & Kloezen, W. H., 1998. "Indicators for comparing performance of irrigated agricultural systems," IWMI Books, Reports H022308, International Water Management Institute.
- Lecina, S. & Isidoro, D. & Playán, E. & Aragüés, R., 2010. "Irrigation modernization and water conservation in Spain: The case of Riegos del Alto Aragón," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(10), pages 1663-1675, October.
- Perry, Chris & Steduto, Pasquale & Allen, Richard. G. & Burt, Charles M., 2009. "Increasing productivity in irrigated agriculture: Agronomic constraints and hydrological realities," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1517-1524, November.
- Playan, Enrique & Mateos, Luciano, 2006. "Modernization and optimization of irrigation systems to increase water productivity," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 80(1-3), pages 100-116, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.