Optimizing competitive uses of water for irrigation and fisheries
AbstractChoosing the appropriate reservoir water management strategy can be difficult when the water has multiple uses. This study examines this problem for reservoir managers where water use involves irrigation and fisheries. A stochastic dynamic programming (SDP) model is developed to facilitate reservoir management, using a case study illustration for southern Vietnam. The model includes the response of rice and fish yields to key factors including reservoir water levels, the timing and quantity of water release, and climatic conditions. The model also accounts for variation in rainfall patterns, irrigation requirements, and the demand for low water levels during the fish harvest season. Three production scenarios are examined where the reservoir's water is used for: only producing rice (scenario 1), only producing fish (scenario 2), and producing rice and fish (scenario 3). Key findings are: (1) for scenario 1, adequate water should be released to meet rice growing water requirements and residual water should be stored as a source of water in case of low rainfall, (2) for scenario 2, sufficient water needs to be released prior to the fish harvest to maximize this harvest; and (3) for scenario 3, water should be released prior to fish harvest, but sufficient water should remain to satisfy the water requirements of rice. When the reservoir is managed for joint production of rice and fish, net benefits are 6% greater than when the reservoir is managed solely for rice production. The SDP model developed in this paper could be adapted and applied to other multiple-use resources such as forests, river basins, and land.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Agricultural Water Management.
Volume (Year): 101 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agwat
Reservoir water management; Irrigation; Fisheries; Optimization; Multiple-use resources; Stochastic dynamic programming;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reca, Juan & Roldan, Jose & Alcaide, Miguel & Lopez, Rafael & Camacho, Emilio, 2001. "Optimisation model for water allocation in deficit irrigation systems: II. Application to the Bembezar irrigation system," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 117-132, June.
- Bouman, B. A. M. & Tuong, T. P., 2001. "Field water management to save water and increase its productivity in irrigated lowland rice," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 11-30, July.
- Rao, N. H. & Sarma, P. B. S. & Chander, Subhash, 1988. "A simple dated water-production function for use in irrigated agriculture," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-32, April.
- Shangguan, Zhouping & Shao, Mingan & Horton, Robert & Lei, Tingwu & Qin, Lin & Ma, Jianqing, 2002. "A model for regional optimal allocation of irrigation water resources under deficit irrigation and its applications," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 139-154, January.
- Tran, Lap Doc & Schilizzi, Steven & Chalak, Morteza & Kingwell, Ross S., 2011. "Managing multiple-use resources: optimizing reservoir water use for irrigation and fisheries," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 100721, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Reca, Juan & Roldan, Jose & Alcaide, Miguel & Lopez, Rafael & Camacho, Emilio, 2001. "Optimisation model for water allocation in deficit irrigation systems: I. Description of the model," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 103-116, June.
- Tran, Lap Doc & Schilizzi, Steven & Kingwell, Ross S., 2010. "Dynamic trade-offs in water use between irrigation and reservoir aquaculture in Vietnam," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 59171, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.