Cash cropping and food crop productivity: synergies or trade-offs?
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/agec
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Goetz, Stephan J, 1993. "Interlinked Markets and the Cash Crop-Food Crop Debate in Land-Abundant Tropical Agriculture," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-61, January.
- C. Peter Timmer, 1997. "Farmers and Markets: The Political Economy of New Paradigms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 621-627.
- Colin Poulton & Andrew Dorward & Jonathan Kydd, 1998. "The revival of smallholder cash crops in Africa: public and private roles in the provision of finance," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 85-103.
- Putterman, Louis, 1995. "Economic reform and smallholder agriculture in Tanzania: A discussion of recent market liberalization, road rehabilitation, and technology dissemination efforts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 311-326, February.
- Olale, Edward & Cranfield, John A.L., 2009. "The Role of Income Diversification, Transaction Cost and Production Risk in Fertilizer Market Participation," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 49929, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Henson, Spencer & Masakure, Oliver & Boselie, David, 2005. "Private food safety and quality standards for fresh produce exporters: The case of Hortico Agrisystems, Zimbabwe," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 371-384, August.
- Djanibekov, Nodir & Sommer, Rolf & Djanibekov, Utkur, 2013. "Evaluation of effects of cotton policy changes on land and water use in Uzbekistan: Application of a bio-economic farm model at the level of a water users association," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 1-13.
- Crawford, Eric W. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Kelly, Valerie A., 2005. "Alternative Approaches for Promoting Fertilizer Use in Africa, with Particular Reference to the Role of Fertilizer Subsidies," Staff Papers 11557, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- World Bank, 2004. "Zambia - Country Economic Memorandum : Policies for Growth and Diversification, Volume 1. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15666, The World Bank.
- Masakure, Oliver & Henson, Spencer, 2005. "Why do small-scale producers choose to produce under contract? Lessons from nontraditional vegetable exports from Zimbabwe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1721-1733, October.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Yamano, Takashi & Nyoro, James K., 2003.
"Interlinked Credit and Farm Intensification: Evidence from Kenya,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25933, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jayne, T.S. & Yamano, Takashi & Nyoro, James, 2004. "Interlinked credit and farm intensification: evidence from Kenya," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 209-218, December.
- Kuhlgatz, Christian & Abdulai, Awudu, 2011. "Determinants and Welfare Impacts of Export Crop Cultivation - Empirical Evidence from Ghana," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114692, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Maertens, Miet, 2006.
"Globalization, Privatization, and Vertical Coordination in Food Value Chains in Developing and Transition Countries,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25626, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Miet Maertens, 2007. "Globalization, privatization, and vertical coordination in food value chains in developing and transition countries," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 89-102, December.
- Mabiso, Athur, 2012. "Participation of Smallholder Farmers in Biofuels Crop and Land Rental Markets: Evidence from South Africa," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126370, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ito, Junichi & Bao, Zongshun & Su, Qun, 2012. "Distributional effects of agricultural cooperatives in China: Exclusion of smallholders and potential gains on participation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 700-709.
- Govereh, Jones & Jayne, Thomas S. & Nijhoff, Jan J. & Shawa, Julius J. & Haantuba, Hyde H. & Belemu, A. & Ngulube, E. & Zulu, Ballard & Banda, A.K., 2002.
"Developments in Fertilizer Marketing in Zambia: Commercial Trading, Government Programs and the Smallholder Farmer,"
Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs
54604, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Shawa, Julius J. & Haantuba, Hyde H. & Belemu, A. & Ngulube, E. & Banda, A.K. & Govereh, Jones & Jayne, Thomas S. & Nijhoff, Jan J. & Zulu, Ballard, 2002. "Developments in Fertilizer Marketing in Zambia: Commercial Trading, Government Programs, and the Smallholder Farmer," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54459, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Afari-Sefa, Victor, 2008. "The Distributional Effects of Horticultural Export Value Chains among Smallholders In Southern Ghana," 2007 Second International Conference, August 20-22, 2007, Accra, Ghana 52124, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Gillson, I & Poulton, Colin & Balcombe, Kelvin & Page, S, 2004. "Understanding the impact of Cotton Subsidies on developing countries," MPRA Paper 15373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Langat, B.K. & Sulo, T.K. & Nyangweso, P.M. & Ngeno, V.K. & Korir, M.K. & Kipsat, Mary J., 2010. "Household Food Security in Commercialized Subsistence Economies: Factors Influencing Dietary Diversity of Smallholder Tea Farmers in Nandi South, Kenya," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 97086, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Smallholder market participation: Concepts and evidence from eastern and southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 299-317, August.
- Christina Handschuch & Meike Wollni, 2013. "Improved production systems for traditional food crops: The case of finger millet in Western Kenya," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 141, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Steger, Sören, 2005. "Der Flächenrucksack des europäischen Außenhandels mit Agrarprodukten," Wuppertal Papers 152, Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy.
- Fan, Linlin & Nogueira, Lia & Baylis, Katherine R., 2013. "Agricultural Market Reforms and Nutritional Transition in Rural China," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150203, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- World Bank, 2005. "The Dynamics of Vertical Coordination in Agrifood Chains in Eastern Europe and Central Asia : Implications for Policy and World Bank Operations," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8806, The World Bank.
- Poulton, Colin & Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions, and Intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1413-1428, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.