Oil prices and exchange rates: Norwegian evidence
AbstractPrevious empirical studies have suggested an ambiguous relationship between crude oil prices and exchange rates. In contrast to these studies, we explore the possibility of a non-linear relationship between oil prices and the Norwegian exchange rate. We reveal a negative relationship between oil prices and the value of the Norwegian exchange rate that is relatively strong when oil prices are below 14 dollars and are falling. Allowance for this non-linear relationship leads to an econometrically well specified and interpretable exchange rate model that also has strong predictive properties. Notably, this model substantially improves the forecasts compared with those from a similar model but with linear oil price effects and a random walk model. We undertake an extensive evaluation of our findings to demonstrate their robustness. Copyright Royal Economic Socciety 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 7 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dick van Dijk & Haris Munandar & Christian M. Hafner, 2005.
"The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-044/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 08 Jun 2006.
- van Dijk, Dick, 2006. "The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078/119786, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Alom, Fardous, 2011. "Economic Effects of Oil and Food Price Shocks in Asia and Pacific Countries: An Application of SVAR Model," 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand 115346, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Q. Farooq Akram, 2008.
"Commodity prices, interest rates and the dollar,"
2008/12, Norges Bank.
- Zahid Muhammad & Hassan Suleiman & Reza Kouhy, 2011. "Exploring oil price – exchange rate nexus for Nigeria," FIW Working Paper series 071, FIW.
- Kisswani, Khalid M. & Nusair, Salah A., 2013.
"Non-linearities in the dynamics of oil prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 341-353.
- Dick van Dijk & Haris Munandar & Christian M. Hafner, 2005. "The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-044/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 08 Jun 2006.
- Roger Bjørnstad & Eilev S. Jansen, 2007. "The NOK/euro exhange rate after inflation targeting: The interest rate rules," Discussion Papers 501, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Roger Hammersland & Cathrine Bolstad Træe, 2011. "The Financial Accelerator and the real economy. Self-reinforcing feedback loops in a core macro econometric model for Norway," Discussion Papers 668, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Hungnes, Håvard, 2005.
"The commodity currency puzzle,"
32/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Ramzi Issa & Robert Lafrance & John Murray, 2006. "The Turning Black Tide: Energy Prices and the Canadian Dollar," Working Papers 06-29, Bank of Canada.
- Hassan Suleiman & Zahid Muhammad, 2011. "The real exchange rate of an oil exporting economy: Empirical evidence from Nigeria," FIW Working Paper series 072, FIW.
- Wang, Yudong & Wu, Chongfeng, 2012. "Energy prices and exchange rates of the U.S. dollar: Further evidence from linear and nonlinear causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2289-2297.
- Diego Méndez-Carbajo, 2011. "Energy dependence, oil prices and exchange rates: the Dominican economy since 1990," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 509-520, April.
- Wu, Chih-Chiang & Chung, Huimin & Chang, Yu-Hsien, 2012. "The economic value of co-movement between oil price and exchange rate using copula-based GARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 270-282.
- Reboredo, Juan C., 2012. "Modelling oil price and exchange rate co-movements," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 419-440.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.