Control variates for variance reduction in indirect inference: Interest rate models in continuous time
AbstractSimulation estimators, such as indirect inference or simulated maximum likelihood, are successfully employed for estimating stochastic differential equations. They adjust for the bias (inconsistency) caused by discretization of the underlying stochastic process, which is in continuous time. The price to be paid is an increased variance of the estimated parameters. The variance suffers from an additional component, which depends on the stochastic simulation involved in the estimation procedure. To reduce this undesirable effect, one could increase the number of simulations (or the length of each simulation) and thus the computational cost. Alternatively, this paper shows how variance reduction can be achieved, at virtually no additional computational cost, by use of control variates. The Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process, used by Vasicek to model the short-term interest rate in continuous time, and the square-root process, used by Cox, Ingersoll and Ross, are explicitly considered and experimented with. Monte Carlo experiments show a global efficiency gain of almost 50% over the simple indirect estimator.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 1 (1998)
Issue (Month): ConferenceIssue ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Francesca Di Iorio & Giorgio Calzolari, 1998. "- Control Variates For Variance Reduction In Indirect Inference: Interest Rate Models In Continuous Time," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Di Iorio, Francesca & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 1996. "Control variates for variance reduction in indirect inference: interest rate models in continuous time," MPRA Paper 23160, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 1996.
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Broze, Laurence & Scaillet, Olivier & Zako an, Jean-Michel, 1998.
"Quasi-Indirect Inference For Diffusion Processes,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 161-186, April.
- BROZE, Laurence & SCAILLET, Olivier & ZAKOIAN, Jean-Michel, . "Quasi-indirect inference for diffusion processes," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1327, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BROZE, Laurence & SCAILLET, Olivier & ZAKOIAN, Jean-Michel, 1995. "Quasi Indirect Inference for Diffusion Processes," CORE Discussion Papers 1995005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Sterbenz, Frederic P, 1986. "Control Variates to Estimate the Reduced Form Variances in Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1483-90, November.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Hendry, David F. & Harrison, Robin W., 1974. "Monte Carlo methodology and the small sample behaviour of ordinary and two-stage least squares," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 151-174, July.
- Bianchi, Carlo & Cleur, Eugene M, 1996. "Indirect Estimation of Stochastic Differential Equation Models: Some Computational Experiments," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(3), pages 257-74, August.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- BROZE, Laurence & SCAILLET, Olivier & ZAKOIAN , Jean-Michel, 1993.
"Testing for Continuous-Time Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1993031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Broze, Laurence & Scaillet, Olivier & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1995. "Testing for continuous-time models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 199-223, September.
- Broze, L. & Scaillet, O. & Zakoïan, J.-M., . "Testing for continuous-time models of the short-term interest rate," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1177, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1979. "A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 133-155, July.
- Bianchi, C. & Cesari, R. & Panattoni, L., 1994. "Alternative Estimators of the Cox, ingersoll and Ross Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Monte Carlo Comparison," Papers 236, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Michael J. Brennan and Eduardo S. Schwartz., 1979. "A Continuous-Time Approach to the Pricing of Bonds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 85, University of California at Berkeley.
- Calzolari, Giorgio, 1979. "Antithetic variates to estimate the simulation bias in non-linear models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 323-328.
- Enrique Sentana & Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2004. "Indirect Estimation Of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Models," Working Papers wp2004_0409, CEMFI.
- Giorgio Calzolari & F. Mealli & C. Rampichini, 2001. "Alternative Simulation-Based Estimators of Logit Models with Random Effects," Econometrics Working Papers Archive quaderno48, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Breitung, Jörg, 1998. "Simulation based methods of moments in empirical finance," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,59, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Di Iorio, Francesca & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2006. "Discontinuities in indirect estimation: An application to EAR models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2124-2136, April.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Francesca Di Iorio & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2001. "Indirect inference and variance reduction using control variates," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(1-2), pages 39-53.
- Giorgio Calzolari & F. Di Iorio & G. Fiorentini, 1999. "Indirect Estimation of Just-Identified Models with Control Variates," Econometrics Working Papers Archive quaderno46, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.