Asymptotic local power of pooled t-ratio tests for unit roots in panels with fixed effects
Abstract. This latter test is equivalent to the well-known pooled t test proposed by Levin et al. (2002, Journal of Econometrics 108, 1--24), and its power depends only on the mean of the local-to-unity parameters. This implies that it has the same power against homogeneous and heterogeneous alternatives with the same mean autoregressive parameter. We then compare these tests to a panel version of the Sargan-Bhargava (1983, Econometrica 51, 153--74) statistic for a unit root and the common point-optimal test of Moon et al. (2007, Journal of Econometrics 141, 416--51). Monte Carlo simulations confirm the usefulness of our local-to-unity framework. Copyright Royal Economic Society 2008
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Larsson, Rolf, 2009. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Random Coefficient Panel Data Model," Working Papers in Economics 383, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Claude Lopez, 2003.
"An Improved Panel Unit Root Test Using GLS-Detrending,"
0310006, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 2003.
- Claude Lopez, 2009. "A Panel Unit Root Test with Good Power in Small Samples," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 295-313.
- Claude Lopez, 2003. "An Improved Panel Unit Root Test Using GLS-Detrending," Econometrics 0310003, EconWPA.
- Claude Lopez, 2005. "A Panel Unit Root Test with Good Power in Small Samples," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2005-01, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics, revised 2007.
- Claude Lopez, 2003. "An Improved Panel Unit Root Test Using GLS-Detrending," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2003-06, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2014. "Testing for unit roots in short panels allowing for a structural break," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 391-407.
- Joakim Westerlund & Mehdi Hosseinkouchack & Martin Solberger, . "The Local Power of the CADF and CIPS Panel Unit Root Tests," Financial Econometics Series 2014_05, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2007.
"GMM Estimation for Dynamic Panels with Fixed Effects and Strong Instruments at Unity,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1599, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Han, Chirok & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Gmm Estimation For Dynamic Panels With Fixed Effects And Strong Instruments At Unity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 119-151, February.
- Moon, Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007.
"Incidental trends and the power of panel unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 416-459, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2004. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm414, Yale School of Management.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1435, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," IEPR Working Papers 05.38, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2013.
"The Power Performance of Fixed-T Panel Unit Root Tests allowing for Structural Breaks,"
46012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, . "The power performance of fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for structural breaks," Discussion Papers 13/01, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Larsson, Rolf, 2012. "Testing for a unit root in a random coefficient panel data model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 254-273.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2006.
"Panel Unit Root Tests and Spatial Dependence,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
88, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Joakim Westerlund & J�rg Breitung, 2013. "Lessons from a Decade of IPS and LLC," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5-6), pages 547-591, August.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2012. "On the Local Power of Fixed T Panel Unit Root Tests with Serially Correlated Errors," MPRA Paper 43131, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joakim Westerlund & Johan Blomquist, 2013. "A modified LLC panel unit root test of the PPP hypothesis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 833-860, April.
- Joakim Westerlund, . "On the Importance of the First Observation in GLS Detrending in Unit Root Testing," Financial Econometics Series 2014_07, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Joakim Westerlund, . "Pooled Panel Unit Root Tests and the Effect of Past Initialization," Financial Econometics Series 2014_06, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Gutierrez, Luciano, 2009. "Sampling at different frequencies, and the power of panel unit root tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 59-61, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.