Risks and Efficiency in the Islamic Banking Systems: The Case of Selected Islamic Banks in MENA Region
AbstractThe present paper examined the correlation between risks and efficiency within Islamic banks in the MENA area. This paper used three stages of analyses. The first stage consisted of measuring the efficiency of those banks by employing the nonparametric technique, Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) while the second stage involved analyzing risks by measure credit, operational, and liquidity risks using financial ratios. The third stage would be employing Pearson Correlation Coefficients to examine the correlation between credit, operational, liquidity risks to efficiency for the period of 2006 to 2009. The study results have revealed credit risk has negative relationship to efficiency, while operational risk has found to be negatively correlated to efficiency too. The liquidity risk showed insignificant correlation to efficiency in Islamic banks in MENA area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econjournals in its journal International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econjournals.com
Efficiency; Liquidity Risk; Credit Risk; Operational Risk; Islamic Banks; MENA banking; Data Envelopment Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G29 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pastor, JoseManuel & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 1997.
"Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 395-407, April.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995. "Efficiency Analysis In Banking Firms: An International Comparison," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hameeda Abu Hussain & Jasim Al-Ajmi, 2012. "Risk management practices of conventional and Islamic banks in Bahrain," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(3), pages 215-239.
- Bauer, Wolfgang & Ryser, Marc, 2004. "Risk management strategies for banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 331-352, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:601084 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hussein A. Hassan Al-Tamimi & Faris Mohammed Al-Mazrooei, 2007. "Banks' risk management: a comparison study of UAE national and foreign banks," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 394-409, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.