Democracy, Investment and Economic Growth
AbstractThe main purpose of this paper is to identify the relationship between democracy, investment and economic growth for a sample of 11 countries from the MENA region during the period 2000-2009, by using a dynamic panel data model. The democracy’ effect on the contribution of investment to economic growth has been the subject of a second empirical study within the framework of this research paper. The main outcomes drawn by these two empirical tests prove that there is a significant link between on the one hand the democracy and investment and on the other hand between civil liberties and economic growth. The outcomes also highlight a positive interaction between political rights and investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econjournals in its journal International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econjournals.com
Political rights; Civil liberties; Investment; Economic growth; Dynamic panel;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Haan, Jakob & Siermann, Clemens L J, 1998. " Further Evidence on the Relationship between Economic Freedom and Economic Growth," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 95(3-4), pages 363-80, June.
- Stéphane Calipel & Jean-Paul Azam & Jean-Claude Berthélemy, 1996.
"Risque politique et croissance en Afrique,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 819-829.
- Guillaumont, Patrick & Jeanneney, Sylviane Guillaumont & Brun, Jean-Francois, 1999.
"How Instability Lowers African Growth,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(1), pages 87-107, March.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Jean-François BRUN, 1997. "How Instability Lowers African Growth ?," Working Papers 199712, CERDI.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Jean-François BRUN, 1998. "How Instability Lowers African Growth," Working Papers 199806, CERDI.
- Tavares, Jose & Wacziarg, Romain, 2001. "How democracy affects growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1341-1378, August.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- John F. Helliwell, 1992. "Empirical Linkages Between Democracy and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 4066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Isham, Jonathan & Kaufmann, Daniel & Pritchett, Lant H, 1997. "Civil Liberties, Democracy, and the Performance of Government Projects," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 219-42, May.
- Aghion, Philippe & Akcigit, Ufuk & Howitt, Peter, 2014. "What Do We Learn From Schumpeterian Growth Theory?," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 0, pages 515-563 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.