The Relationship between Interest Rate, Exchange Rate and Stock Price: A Wavelet Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the multi-scale relationship between the interest rate, exchange rate and stock price using a wavelet transform. In particular, we apply the maximum overlap discrete wavelet transform (MODWT) to the interest rate, exchange rate and stock price in US over the period from january 1990 to december 2008 and using the definitions of wavelet variance, wavelet correlation and cross-correlations to analyze the association as well as the lead/lag relationship between these series at the different time scales. Our results show that the relationship between interest rate and exchange rate is not significantly different from zero at all scales. On the other hand, the relationship between interest rate returns and stock index returns is significantly different from zero only at the highest scales. The exchange rate returns and stock index returns have a bidirectional relationship in this period at longer horizons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econjournals in its journal International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econjournals.com
Wavelet analysis; Interest rate; Stock price; Wavelet cross-correlation; Granger causality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramsey, James B. & Lampart, Camille, 1998. "Decomposition Of Economic Relationships By Timescale Using Wavelets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 49-71, March.
- Solnik, Bruno, 1987. " Using Financial Prices to Test Exchange Rate Models: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 141-49, March.
- Selim KAYHAN & Tayfur BAYAT & Ahmet UGUR, 2013. "Interest Rates and Exchange Rate Relationship in BRIC-T Countries," Ege Academic Review, Ege University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 13(2), pages 227-236.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.