Endogenous Completeness of Diffusion Driven Equilibrium Markets
AbstractWe study the existence of equilibria with endogenously complete markets in a continuous-time, heterogenous agents economy driven by a multidimensional diffusion process. Our main results show that if prices are real analytic as functions of time and the state variables of the model then a suffi- cient condition for market completeness is that the volatility of dividends be nondegenerate. In contrast to previous research, our formulation does not require that securities pay terminal dividends and thus allows for both finite or infinite horizon economies. We illustrate our results by providing easily applicable conditions for market completeness in two benchmark cases: that where the state variables are given by a vector autoregressive process and that where they are given by a vector of autonomous diffusion processes. We also provide counterexamples which show that real analyticity cannot be dispensed with if one is to deduce dynamic market completeness from the structure of dividends.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 80 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (05)
Other versions of this item:
- Julien HUGONNIER & Semyon MALAMUD & Eugene TRUBOWITZ, . "Endogenous completeness of diffusion driven equilibrium markets," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-41, Swiss Finance Institute.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kramkov, Dmitry & Predoiu, Silviu, 2014. "Integral representation of martingales motivated by the problem of endogenous completeness in financial economics," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 81-100.
- Theodoros M. Diasakos, 2012.
"A Simple Characterization of Dynamic Completeness in Continuous Time,"
Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics
201312, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews, revised 02 Sep 2013.
- Theodoros M. Diasakos, 2011. "A Simple Characterization of Dynamic Completeness in Continuous Time," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 211, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Dmitry Kramkov, 2013. "Existence of an endogenously complete equilibrium driven by a diffusion," Papers 1304.3516, arXiv.org.
- Frederik Herzberg & Frank Riedel, 2012.
"Existence of Financial Equilibria in Continuous Time with Potentially Complete Markets,"
- Riedel, Frank & Herzberg, Frederik, 2013. "Existence of financial equilibria in continuous time with potentially complete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 398-404.
- Frank Riedel & Frederik Herzberg, 2013. "Existence of Financial Equilibria in Continuous Time with Potentially Complete Markets," Working Papers 443, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Martin Larsson, 2013. "Non-Equivalent Beliefs and Subjective Equilibrium Bubbles," Papers 1306.5082, arXiv.org.
- Hugonnier, Julien, 2012. "Rational asset pricing bubbles and portfolio constraints," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(6), pages 2260-2302.
- Dmitry Kramkov & Silviu Predoiu, 2011. "Integral representation of martingales motivated by the problem of endogenous completeness in financial economics," Papers 1110.3248, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.