Constructing Optimal Instruments by First-Stage Prediction Averaging
AbstractThis paper considers model averaging as a way to construct optimal instruments for the two-stage least squares (2SLS), limited information maximum likelihood (LIML), and Fuller estimators in the presence of many instruments. We propose averaging across least squares predictions of the endogenous variables obtained from many different choices of instruments and then use the average predicted value of the endogenous variables in the estimation stage. The weights for averaging are chosen to minimize the asymptotic mean squared error of the model averaging version of the 2SLS, LIML, or Fuller estimator. This can be done by solving a standard quadratic programming problem. Copyright 2010 The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 78 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moral-Benito, Enrique, 2010.
"Model averaging in economics,"
26047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xu Cheng & Zhipeng Liao, 2012. "Select the Valid and Relevant Moments: A One-Step Procedure for GMM with Many Moments," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-045, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Xiaohong Chen & David T. Jacho-Chavez & Oliver Linton, 2012. "Averaging of moment condition estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP26/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Aman Ullah & Huansha Wang, 2013. "Parametric and Nonparametric Frequentist Model Selection and Model Averaging," Econometrics, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(2), pages 157-179, September.
- Kuersteiner, Guido M., 2012. "Kernel-weighted GMM estimators for linear time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 399-421.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.