Nonparametric Identification of Risk Aversion in First-Price Auctions Under Exclusion Restrictions
AbstractThis paper studies the nonparametric identification of the first-price auction model with risk averse bidders within the private value paradigm. First, we show that the benchmark model is nonindentified from observed bids. We also derive the restrictions imposed by the model on observables and show that these restrictions are weak. Second, we establish the nonparametric identification of the bidders' utility function under exclusion restrictions. Our primary exclusion restriction takes the form of an exogenous bidders' participation, leading to a latent distribution of private values that is independent of the number of bidders. The key idea is to exploit the property that the bid distribution varies with the number of bidders while the private value distribution does not. We then extend these results to endogenous bidders' participation when the exclusion restriction takes the form of instruments that do not affect the bidders' private value distribution. Though derived for a benchmark model, our results extend to more general cases such as a binding reserve price, affiliated private values, and asymmetric bidders. Last, possible estimation methods are proposed. Copyright 2009 The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 77 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jingfeng Lu & Isabelle Perrigne, 2008.
"Estimating risk aversion from ascending and sealed-bid auctions: the case of timber auction data,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(7), pages 871-896.
- Lu, Jingfeng & Perrigne, Isabelle, 2006. "Estimating risk aversion from ascending and sealed-bid auctions: the case of timber auction data," MPRA Paper 948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaurab Aryal & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2011. "Nonidentification of Insurance Models with Probability of Accidents," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2011-552, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Hanming Fang & Xun Tang, 2011. "Inference of Bidders’ Risk Attitudes in Ascending Auctions with Endogenous Entry, Second Version," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-016, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 17 Apr 2012.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille & Philippe Février, 2010. "Identification of a Class of Adverse Selection Models with Contracts Variation," Working Papers 2011-27, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Yingyao Hu & Matthew Shum, 2007.
"Estimating First-Price Auctions with an Unknown Number of Bidders: A Misclassification Approach,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
541, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- An, Yonghong & Hu, Yingyao & Shum, Matthew, 2010. "Estimating first-price auctions with an unknown number of bidders: A misclassification approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 328-341, August.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille & Philippe Février, 2011. "The Provision of Wage Incentives : A Structural Estimation Using Contracts Variation," Working Papers 2011-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille & Philippe Février, 2011. "Identification of Nonseparable Modes with Endogeneity and Discrete Instruments," Working Papers 2011-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom & Xu, Pai, 2007.
"What Model for Entry in First-Price Auctions? A Nonparametric Approach,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
marmer-07-11-22-02-26-44, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 18 Feb 2011.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom & Xu, Pai, 2013. "What model for entry in first-price auctions? A nonparametric approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 46-58.
- Gaurab Aryal & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2011. "Identification of Insurance Models with Multidimensional Screening," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2011-538, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Demuynck, Thomas & De Rock, Bram, 2013.
"The empirical content of Cournot competition,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 148(4), pages 1552-1581.
- Bram De Rock & Laurens Cherchye & Thomas Demuynck, 2013. "The empirical content of Cournot competition," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/151678, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Thomas DEMUYNCK & Bram DE ROCK, 2011. "The empirical content of Cournot competition," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces11.11, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Camille Sabbah, 2009. "Uniform Bias Study and Bahadur Representation for Local Polynomial Estimators of the Conditional Quantile Function," Working Papers 648, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom, 2008.
"Quantile-Based Nonparametric Inference for First-Price Auctions,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
marmer-08-01-17-12-16-12, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 16 May 2013.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom, 2012. "Quantile-based nonparametric inference for first-price auctions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 345-357.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom, 2006. "Quantile-Based Nonparametric Inference for First-Price Auctions," MPRA Paper 5899, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Mar 2006.
- Lamy, Laurent, 2012.
"The econometrics of auctions with asymmetric anonymous bidders,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 113-132.
- Laurent Lamy, 2008. "The econometrics of auctions with asymmetric anonymous bidders," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586039, HAL.
- Laurent Lamy, 2007. "The Econometrics of Auctions with Asymmetric Anonymous Bidders," Working Papers 2007-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- A. Banerji & Neha Gupta, 2011. "Do Auction Bids Betray Expectations-Based Reference Dependent Preferences? A Test, Experimental Evidence, And Estimates Of Loss Aversion," Working papers 206, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.