Modeling Denomination Structures
AbstractPrevious work on the denomination structure of currency treats as exogenous the distribution of transactions and the denominations held by people. Here, by way of a matching model, both are endogenous. In the model, trades in pairwise meetings alternate in time with the opportunity to freely choose a portfolio of denominations and there is a trade-off between the benefits of small-denomination money for transacting and the costliness of carrying a large quantity of small-denomination money. For a given denomination structure, a monetary steady state is shown to exist. The model implies that too small denominations are abandoned. Copyright The Econometric Society 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 73 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (05)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huberto M. Ennis, 2006. "The problem of small change in early Argentina," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 93-111.
- Manjong Lee & Sung Guan Yun, 2014. "Composition of Portfolio and Cost of Inflation," Discussion Paper Series 1403, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Nosal, Ed & Wallace, Neil, 2007. "A model of (the threat of) counterfeiting," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 994-1001, May.
- Knotek II, Edward S., 2008.
"Convenient prices, currency, and nominal rigidity: Theory with evidence from newspaper prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1303-1316, October.
- Edward S. Knotek II, 2005. "Convenient prices, currency, and nominal rigidity : theory with evidence from newspaper prices," Research Working Paper RWP 05-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Bhattacharya, Kaushik, 2009.
"Demand and Supply of Currencies of Small Denominations: A Theoretical Framework,"
27334, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaushik Bhattacharya, 2011. "Demand and Supply of Currencies of Small Denominations: A Theoretical Framework," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 9(2), pages 123-139, July.
- Kim, Young Sik & Lee, Manjong, 2010. "A model of debit card as a means of payment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1359-1368, August.
- Klee, Elizabeth, 2008. "How people pay: Evidence from grocery store data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 526-541, April.
- Lee, Manjong, 2013. "Coexistence and welfare cost of inflation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 23-32.
- Kim, Young Sik & Lee, Manjong, 2012.
"Intermediary cost and coexistence puzzle,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 142-145.
- Pidong Huang & Young Sik Kim & Manjong Lee, 2014. "Optimal Allocation of Social Cost for Electronic Payment System: A Ramsey Approach," Discussion Paper Series 1402, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Manjong Lee & Neil Wallace, 2006. "Optimal divisibility when money is costly to produce," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(3), pages 541-556, July.
- Williamson, Stephen D. & Wright, Randall, 2010.
"New Monetarist Economics: Models,"
21030, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angela Redish & Warren E. Weber, 2011. "A model of commodity money with minting and melting," Staff Report 460, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Manjong Lee, 2008. "Is Uniform Money Always Better than Separate Monies?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 21-42, February.
- Bouhdaoui, Y. & Bounie, D., 2012. "Efficient payments: How much do they cost for the Central Bank?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1579-1584.
- Sotiris Vandoros, 2013. "My five pounds are not as good as yours, so I will spend them," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 546-559, December.
- Lee, Manjong, 2010. "Carrying cost of money and real effects of denomination structure," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 326-337, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.