Asymptotic Efficiency in Parametric Structural Models with Parameter-Dependent Support
AbstractIn certain auction, search, and related models, the boundary of the support of the observed data depends on some of the parameters of interest. For such nonregular models, standard asymptotic distribution theory does not apply. Previous work has focused on characterizing the nonstandard limiting distributions of particular estimators in these models. In contrast, we study the problem of constructing efficient point estimators. We show that the maximum likelihood estimator is generally inefficient, but that the Bayes estimator is efficient according to the local asymptotic minmax criterion for conventional loss functions. We provide intuition for this result using Le Cam's limits of experiments framework. Copyright The Econometric Society 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 71 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
Other versions of this item:
- Keisuke Hirano & Jack R. Porter, 2002. "Asymptotic Efficiency in Parametric Structural Models with Parameter-Dependent Support," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1988, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ploberger, Werner & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2012.
"Optimal estimation under nonstandard conditions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 258-265.
- Tong Li, 2006. "Simulation based selection of competing structural econometric models," CeMMAP working papers CWP16/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wang, Haiying & Sun, Dongchu, 2012. "Objective Bayesian analysis for a truncated model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(12), pages 2125-2135.
- Joan Jasiak & C. Gourieroux, 2006.
"Dynamic Quantile Models,"
2006_4, York University, Department of Economics.
- Tong Li & Xiaoyong Zheng, 2006. "Entry and competition effects in first-price auctions: theory and evidence from procurement auctions," CeMMAP working papers CWP13/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Yu, Ping, 2012. "Likelihood estimation and inference in threshold regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 274-294.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret Slade, 2007. "Semi-structural models of advertising competition," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1227-1246.
- Patrick Bayer & Shakeeb Khan & Christopher Timmins, 2008. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation in a Generalized Roy Model," NBER Working Papers 13949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Jansson, 2007.
"Semiparametric Power Envelopes for Tests of the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Michael Jansson, 2008. "Semiparametric Power Envelopes for Tests of the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(5), pages 1103-1142, 09.
- Li, Tong, 2009. "Simulation based selection of competing structural econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 114-123, February.
- Li, Tong & Zheng, Xiaoyong, 2012. "Information acquisition and/or bid preparation: A structural analysis of entry and bidding in timber sale auctions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 29-46.
- Li, Tong, 2010. "Indirect inference in structural econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 120-128, July.
- Vukina, Tomislav & Zheng, Xiaoyong & Marra, Michele & Levy, Armando, 2008. "Do farmers value the environment? Evidence from a conservation reserve program auction," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1323-1332, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.