On the Generic Finiteness of Equilibrium Outcome Distributions in Game Forms
AbstractConsider nonempty finite pure strategy sets S[subscript 1], . . . , S[subscript n], let S = S[subscript 1] times . . . times S[subscript n], let Omega be a finite space of "outcomes," let Delta(Omega) be the set of probability distributions on Omega, and let theta: S approaches Delta(Omega) be a function. We study the conjecture that for any utility in a generic set of n-tuples of utilities on Omega there are finitely many distributions on Omega induced by the Nash equilibria of the game given by the induced utilities on S. We give a counterexample refuting the conjecture for n >= 3. Several special cases of the conjecture follow from well-known theorems, and we provide some generalizations of these results.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 69 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Other versions of this item:
- Govindan, S & McLennan, A, 1997. "On the Generic Finiteness of Equilibrium Outcome Distributions in Game Forms," Papers 299, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2005.
"On the generic strategic stability of Nash equilibria if voting is costly,"
Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 477-486, 02.
- Francesco De Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2002. "On The Generic Strategic Stability Of Nash Equilibria If Voting Is Costly," Economics Working Papers we025620, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Francesco De Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2003. "On the Generic Strategic Stability of Nash Equilibria if Voting is Costly," CEIS Research Paper 41, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Hans Haller & Roger Lagunoff, 2000.
"Genericity and Markovian Behavior in Stochastic Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1231-1248, September.
- Hans Haller & Roger Lagunoff, 1999. "Genericity and Markovian Behavior in Stochastic Games," Game Theory and Information 9901003, EconWPA, revised 03 Jun 1999.
- Pimienta, Carlos, 2010.
"Generic finiteness of outcome distributions for two-person game forms with three outcomes,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 364-365, May.
- Carlos Pimienta, 2007. "Generic Finiteness of Outcome Distributions for Two Person Game Forms with Three Outcomes," Discussion Papers 2007-20, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Carlos Pimienta, 2007.
"Generic Determinacy of Nash Equilibrium in Network Formation Games,"
2007-31, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Pimienta, Carlos, 2009. "Generic determinacy of Nash equilibrium in network-formation games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 920-927, July.
- Francesco De Sinopoli & Carlos Pimienta, 2009.
"Costly Network Formation and Regular Equilibria,"
2009-05, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- In-Uck Park, 1993. "Generic Finiteness of Equilibrium Outcome Distributions in Sender-Received Cheap-Talk Games," Game Theory and Information 9310002, EconWPA.
- Govindan, Srihari & Wilson, Robert B., 2007. "Stable Outcomes of Generic Games in Extensive Form," Research Papers 1933r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 2010. "Generic finiteness of equilibrium payoffs for bimatrix games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 382-383, July.
- DE SINOPOLI, Francesco, 1999. "Further remarks on strategic stability in plurality games," CORE Discussion Papers 1999030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DE SINOPOLI, Francesco, 1998. "Two results about generic non cooperative voting games with plurality rule," CORE Discussion Papers 1998034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andreu Mas-Colell, 2008. "Generic finiteness of equilibrium payoffs for bimatrix games," Economics Working Papers 1103, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Litan, Cristian M. & Marhuenda, Francisco, 2012. "Determinacy of equilibrium outcome distributions for zero sum and common utility games," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 152-154.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.