Optimal Consumption and Portfolio Rules with Durability and Local Substitution
AbstractA model of optimal consumption and portfolio choice that captures the notions of local substitution and irreversible purchases of durable goods is studied. Necessary and sufficient conditions for a consumption and portfolio policy to be optimal are provided. A closed-form solution of the optimal consumption and portfolio policy is given. The optimal consumption policy consists of a possible initial "gulp" of consumption, or a period of no consumption, followed.by a process of accumulated consumption with singular sample paths. The equilibrium risk premium in a representative investor economy with a single physical production technology is computed. Copyright 1993 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 61 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuoco, Domenico & Liu, Hong, 2000.
"Optimal consumption of a divisible durable good,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 561-613, April.
- Domenico Cuoco & Hong Liu, . "Optimal Consumption of a Divisible Durable Good," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 20-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gomes, Francisco J. & Michaelides, Alexander, 2003.
"Portfolio choice with internal habit formation : a life-cycle model with uninsurable labor income risk,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2003. "Portfolio Choice With Internal Habit Formation: A Life-Cycle Model With Uninsurable Labor Income Risk," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 729-766, October.
- Gomes, Francisco J & Michaelides, Alexander, 2003. "Portfolio Choice with Internal Habit Formation: A Life-Cycle Model with Uninsurable Labour Income Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 3868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martins-da-Rocha, V. Filipe & Riedel, Frank, 2010.
"On equilibrium prices in continuous time,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 1086-1112, May.
- V. Filipe Martins-da-Rocha & Frank Riedel, 2008. "On Equilibrium Prices in Continuous Time," Papers 0802.3585, arXiv.org.
- V. Filipe Martins-da-Rocha & Frank Riedel, 2008. "On equilibrium prices in continuous time," Working Papers 397, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Martins-da-Rocha, Victor Filipe & Riedel, Frank, 2008. "On Equilibrium Prices in Continuous Time," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 672, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Yang, Yunhong, 2000. "Existence of optimal consumption and portfolio rules with portfolio constraints and stochastic income, durability and habit formation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 135-153, March.
- Peter Bank & Frank Riedel, 2003.
"Optimal Dynamic Choice of Durable and Perishable Goods,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse29_2003, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Peter Bank & Frank Riedel, 2003. "Optimal Dynamic Choice of Durable and Perishable Goods," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000402, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Yeung Lewis Chan & Leonid Kogan, 2001. "Catching Up with the Joneses: Heterogeneous Preferences and the Dynamics of Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 8607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Ehling, 2004. "Consumption, Portfolio Policies and Dynamic Equilibrium in the Presence of Preference for Ownership," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 311, Econometric Society.
- Damgaard, Anders & Fuglsbjerg, Brian & Munk, Claus, 2003. "Optimal consumption and investment strategies with a perishable and an indivisible durable consumption good," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 209-253, November.
- Jérôme B. Detemple & Christos I. Giannikos, 1995.
"Asset and Commodity Prices with Multiattribute Durable Goods,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Detemple, Jerome B. & Giannikos, Christos I., 1996. "Asset and commodity prices with multi-attribute durable goods," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1451-1504, August.
- Aase, Knut K., 2000. "An equilibrium asset pricing model based on Lévy processes: relations to stochastic volatility, and the survival hypothesis," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 345-363, December.
- Jin, Xing & Deng, Shuhui, 1997. "Existence and uniqueness of optimal consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time finance model with habit formation and without short sales," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 187-205, September.
- Yeung Lewis Chan & Leonid Kogan, . "Catching Up with the Joneses: Heterogeneous Preferences and the Dynamics of Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-00, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Zhu, Steven H., 1997. "Optimal consumption and portfolio rules with durability and habit formation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 525-550.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Zhu, Steven H., 1997. "Numerical analysis of a free-boundary singular control problem in financial economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 297-327.
- Nikolaj Malchow-Moeller & Bo Jellesmark Thorsen, . "Investment under Uncertainty - the Case of Repeated Investment Options," Economics Working Papers 2000-15, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- José Penalva, 2000.
"Full insurance, asymmetric information and genetic testing,"
Economics Working Papers
461, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jose S. Penalva Zuasti, 2001. "Insurance with Frequency Trading: A Dynamic Analysis of Efficient Insurance Markets," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(4), pages 790-822, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.