Risk Aversion in Quiggin and Yaari's Rank-Order Model of Choice under Uncertainty
AbstractThis paper studies the rank-dependent model of choice under uncertainty proposed by J. Quiggin in 1982 and elaborated by M. E. Yaari in 1984. First, a rigorous axiomatic foundation for the model is provided. A very close analogy with expected utility theory is drawn permitting a considerably simplified treatment. Risk aversion and its measurement are then studied; two characterizations, one weaker and one stronger, are presented in addition to the one considered by Yaari. Lastly, risk aversion and other properties of th model are related to empirically observed departures from expected utility maximizing behavior. Copyright 1987 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 97 (1987)
Issue (Month): 388a (Supplement)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Langlais, Eric, 2005.
"Indemnisation des préjudices et fréquence des procès en présence d'une asymétrie d'informaion sur l'aversion au risque des parties
[Compensation of damages and frequency of trials with asymmet," MPRA Paper 1150, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Nov 2006.
- Éric Langlais, 2008. "Indemnisation des préjudices et fréquence des procès en présence d'une asymétrie d'information sur l'aversion au risque des parties," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 74(2), pages 191-218.
- Eric LANGLAIS, 2008. "Indemnisation des préjudices et fréquence des procès en présence d’une asymétrie d’information sur l’aversion au risque des parties," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2008024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Johana Etner & Meglena Jeleva, 2004.
"Pessimism or optimism : a justification to voluntary contributions toward environmental quality,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04099, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Johanna Etner & Meglena Jeleva & Pierre-Andre Jouvet, 2009. "Pessimism Or Optimism: A Justification To Voluntary Contributions Toward Environmental Quality ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 308-319, December.
- Enrico Diecidue & Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2008.
"Parametric Weighting Functions,"
Kiel Working Papers
1395, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Enrico Diecidue & Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2006. "Parametric Weighting Functions," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0622, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Zank, Horst & Schmidt, Ulrich & Diecidue, Enrico, 2007. "Parametric Weighting Functions," Economics Working Papers 2007,01, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Mierzejewski, Fernando, 2008. "Essays on liquidity-preference in markets with borrowing restrictions.," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:1979/2006, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Diecidue, Enrico & Wakker, Peter P, 2001.
" On the Intuition of Rank-Dependent Utility,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 281-98, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.