Did the EMS Reduce the Cost of Capital?
AbstractWe propose a dynamic arbitrage pricing theory (APT) multi--factor model with time--varying volatility for currency, bond and stock returns for ten European countries over 1977--97. We exploit the cross--sectional dimension of the model to construct world portfolios, which when added to the original list of assets, allow us to develop simple consistent methods of estimation and testing. Our results reject the implicit asset pricing restrictions, and suggest decreases in idiosyncratic exchange rate risk tend to lower the cost of capital, although the effect is small. We assess the potential gains from increased stock market integration. Copyright Royal Economic Society 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 112 (2002)
Issue (Month): 482 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dvorak, Tomas & Podpiera, Richard, 2005.
"European Union enlargement and equity markets in accession countries,"
Working Paper Series
0552, European Central Bank.
- Dvorak, Tomas & Podpiera, Richard, 2006. "European Union enlargement and equity markets in accession countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 129-146, June.
- Richard Podpiera & TomÃ¡s DvorÃ¡k, 2005. "European Union Enlargement and Equity Markets in Accession Countries," IMF Working Papers 05/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Kearney, Colm & Lucey, Brian M., 2004. "International equity market integration: Theory, evidence and implications," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 571-583.
- Arturo Bris & Yrjö Koskinen & Mattias Nilsson, 2009.
"The Euro and Corporate Valuations,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(8), pages 3171-3209, August.
- Arie Melnik & Doron Nissim, 2004. "Liquidity and Issue Costs in Eurobond Market: The Effects of Market Integration," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 48, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Arie Melnik & Doron Nissim, 2004. "Liquidity and Issue Costs in the Eurobond Market: the Effects of Market Integration," ICER Working Papers 03-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Raj Aggarwal & Brian M. Lucey & Cal Muckley, 2004. "Dynamics of Equity Market Integration in Europe: Evidence of Changes over time and with events," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp019, IIIS.
- De Moor, Lieven & Sercu, Piet, 2011. "Country versus sector factors in equity returns: The roles of non-unit exposures," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 64-77, January.
- Tomas Dvorak & Chris R. A. Geiregat, 2004. "Are the new and old EU countries financially integrated?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-09, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Melnik, Arie & Nissim, Doron, 2006. "Issue costs in the Eurobond market: The effects of market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 157-177, January.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation And The Cost Of Capital In Emerging Markets,"
- de los Rios, Antonio Diez, 2009. "Exchange rate regimes, globalisation, and the cost of capital in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 311-330, December.
- Antonio Díez de los Ríos, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation and the Cost of Capital in Emerging Markets," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/51, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2007. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation, and the Cost of Capital in Emerging Markets," Working Papers 07-29, Bank of Canada.
- Lieven Moor & Piet Sercu, 2010. "Country v sector effects in equity returns and the roles of geographical and firm-size coverage," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 433-448, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.