Worker Flows and Job Flows in Danish Manufacturing, 1980-91
AbstractThe authors map turnover of workers and jobs in Danish manufacturing over the 1980 to 1991 period, using information about all individual manufacturing plants. They examine the relation between worker flows and job flows and the authors study separations from, and hires to, existing jobs (replacement hiring) in detail. Their results reveal large heterogeneity among workers as well as plants, even adjusting for the level of job flows. The cyclical properties of worker reallocation point to worker-flow dynamics being driven by workers quitting in upturns to find better jobs, rather than by plants upgrading the labor force in recessions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 108 (1998)
Issue (Month): 451 (November)
Other versions of this item:
- Karsten Albaek & Bent E. Sorensen, 1995. "Worker Flows and Job Flows in Danish Manufacturing, 1980-91," Discussion Papers 95-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philip Oreopoulos & Till von Wachter & Andrew Heisz, 2006.
"The Short- and Long-Term Career Effects of Graduating in a Recession: Hysteresis and Heterogeneity in the Market for College Graduates,"
NBER Working Papers
12159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oreopoulos, Philip & Wachter, Till von & Heisz, Andrew, 2008. "The Short- and Long-Term Career Effects of Graduating in a Recession: Hysteresis and Heterogeneity in the Market for College Graduates," IZA Discussion Papers 3578, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Centeno, Mário & Novo, Álvaro A., 2012.
"Excess worker turnover and fixed-term contracts: Causal evidence in a two-tier system,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 320-328.
- Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo, 2012. "Excess worker turnover and fixed-term contracts: Causal evidence in a two-tier system," Working Papers w201205, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Centeno, Mario & Novo, Alvaro A., 2011. "Excess Worker Turnover and Fixed-Term Contracts: Causal Evidence in a Two-Tier System," IZA Discussion Papers 6239, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo & Carla Machado, 2007. "Job Creation and Destruction in Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Kock, Udo, 1998. "Constructing labour market flows for the Netherlands using macro data from social security provisions : 1970-1995," Serie Research Memoranda 0040, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Ricardo Mamede, 2009.
"Toward an integrated approach to industry dynamics and labor mobility,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 139-163, February.
- Mamede, Ricardo, 2006. "Towards an integrated approach to industry dynamics and labour mobility," MPRA Paper 3994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Broersma, Lourens & Butter, Frank A.G. den & Kock, Udo, 1998. "A national accounting system for labour market flows : an application to the Netherlands," Serie Research Memoranda 0059, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Centeno, Mario & Machado, Carla & Novo, Alvaro A., 2009. "Excess Turnover and Employment Growth: Firm and Match Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 4586, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin-Barroso, David & Nuñez-Serrano, Juan Andres & Turrion, Jaime & Velazquez, Francisco J., 2011. "The European Map of Job Flows," MPRA Paper 33602, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.