UK Directors' Trading: The Impact of Dealings in Smaller Firms
AbstractThis paper reasesses the U.K. results of significant abnormal returns from directors' trading for a new sample of directors' trades, 1984-86, and finds that abnormal returns tend to be concentrated in smaller firms. When an appropriate benchmark portfolio is used, it is found that the significance of the abnormal returns is substantially reduced, with the implication that directors' trading does not yield particularly high profits to either the directors themselves or to an outside investor mimicking those trades. Coauthors are John Matatko, Ian Tonks, and Richard Purkis. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 104 (1994)
Issue (Month): 422 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- John Matatko & Alan Gregory & Ian Tonks & Richard Purkis, 1993. "UK Directors Trading: The Impact of Dealings in Smaller Firms," FMG Discussion Papers dp160, Financial Markets Group.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Julan Du, 2003.
"Does Insider Trading Raise Market Volatility?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2009.
"To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements,"
Bristol Economics Discussion Papers
09/613, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2010. "To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3-4), pages 369-407.
- Lisa Hotson & Navjot Kaur & Harminder Singh, 2007. "The Information Content of Directors’ Trades: Empirical Analysis of the Australian Market," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2007_19, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Olaf Stotz, 2006. "Germany's New Insider Law: The Empirical Evidence after the First Year," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 449-462, November.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2009.
"Insider Trading in Hong Kong: Tests of Stock Returns and Trading Frequency,"
042009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2011. "Insider Trading in Hong Kong: Tests of Stock Returns and Trading Frequency," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 505-533.
- Kyriacos Kyriacou & Bryan Mase, 2006. "The Adverse Consequences of Share-Based Pay in Risky Companies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 307-323, September.
- Katherine Uylangco & Steve Easton & Robert Faff, 2010. "The equity and efficiency of the Australian share market with respect to director trading," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 5-19, July.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Zhang, C., 2008.
"Do UK Institutional Shareholders Monitor Their Investee Firms?,"
2008-016, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Zhang, C., 2008. "Do UK Institutional Shareholders Monitor their Investee Firms?," Discussion Paper 2008-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nadia Linciano, 2003. "The Effectiveness of Insider Trading Regulation in Italy. Evidence from Stock-Price Run-Ups Around Announcements of Corporate Control Transactions," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Andreas Zingg & Sebastian Lang & Daniela Wyttenbach, 2007. "Insider Trading in the Swiss Stock Market," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 331-362, September.
- Rose, Caspar, 2003. "Impact of investor meetings/presentations on share prices, insider trading and securities regulation," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 227-236, September.
- Fidrmuc Jana P. & Goergen Marc & Renneborg Luc, 2005. "Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration," Working Papers wpn05-03, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Connelly, J. Thomas & Limpaphayom, Piman & Nagarajan, Nandu J., 2012. "Form versus substance: The effect of ownership structure and corporate governance on firm value in Thailand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1722-1743.
- Fidrmucova, J. & Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005.
"Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration,"
2005-025, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Jana P. Fidrmuc & Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2006. "Insider Trading, News Releases, and Ownership Concentration," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2931-2973, December.
- Fidrmucova, J. & Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005. "Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration," Discussion Paper 2005-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bruce Burton & A. Alasdair Lonie & David Power, 2003. "Insider trading, growth opportunities and the market reaction to new financing announcements," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 301-322.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.