Revocable Commitment and Sequential Bargaining
AbstractIn this paper, the author presents a noncompetitive bargaining model which unifies the two well-known but distinct bargaining games due to J. Nash (1953) and A. Rubinstein (1982). Moreover, the author explores the robustness of the equilibrium set of these two bargaining games to a particular kind of perturbation in the commitment structure of the underlying extensive forms. From a different perspective and interpretation of the model, the author examines and studies the relationship between the equilibrium commitment levels and the costs to the bargainers of revoking their respective commitments. Copyright 1992 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 102 (1992)
Issue (Month): 411 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mehrdad Vahabi, 2009.
"A Critical Review of Strategic Conflict Theory and Socio-political Instability Models,"
Revue d'économie politique,
Dalloz, vol. 0(6), pages 817-858.
- Mehrdad Vahabi, 2009. "A Critical Review of Strategic Conflict Theory and Socio-political Instability Models," Post-Print hal-00629129, HAL.
- Gersbach, Hans & Schneider, Maik T., 2012. "Tax contracts, party bargaining, and government formation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 173-192.
- Schotter, Andrew & Snyder, Blaine & Zheng, Wei, 1995.
"Bargaining Through Agents: An Experimental Study of Delegation and Commitment,"
95-27, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Schotter, Andrew & Zheng, Wei & Snyder, Blaine, 2000. "Bargaining Through Agents: An Experimental Study of Delegation and Commitment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 248-292, February.
- Helmut Bester & Jozsef Sakovics, 2004.
"Delegated Bargaining and Renegotiation,"
ESE Discussion Papers
61, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Helmut Bester & J?sef S?ovics, . "Delegated Bargaining And Renegotiation," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 440.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Helmut Bester & Joszef Sakovics, . "Delegated Bargaining and Renegotiation," Papers 007, Departmental Working Papers.
- Juan Vidal-Puga, 2003.
"Bargaining with commitments,"
Game Theory and Information
- Harold Houba, 2006.
"Computing Alternating Offers and Water Prices in Bilateral River Basin Management,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-095/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Harold Houba, 2008. "Computing Alternating Offers And Water Prices In Bilateral River Basin Management," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(03), pages 257-278.
- Klaus Ritzberger, 1992.
"On the non-cooperative foundations of cooperative bargaining,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1992-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Corchon, Luis & Ritzberger, Klaus, 1992. "On the Non-Cooperative Foundations of Cooperative Bargaining," MPRA Paper 18461, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manzini, Paola, 1997.
"Strategic wage bargaining with destructive power: the role of commitment,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 15-22, January.
- Manzini, P., 1996. "Strategic Wage Bargaining with Destructive Power : The Role of Commitment," Discussion Papers 9617, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Amoros, Pablo & Moreno, Bernardo, 2006. "Bargaining and waning commitments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 417-422, September.
- Britz, Volker, 2013. "Optimal value commitment in bilateral bargaining," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 345-351.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2006095 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:umamet:2010013 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2026095 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.