Introduction: The Dual Economy Approach to Economic Growth and Development
AbstractThis volume contains papers that use a two-sector approach to studying economic growth. Many economists believe taking such an approach is essential, especially for understanding the early stages of development. A two-sector model generates important insights about both the accumulation of physical and human capital (Mankiw et al. 1992) and improvements in total factor productivity (TFP) (Hall and Jones, 1999; Parente and Prescott, 2000). The main premise is that the structural transformation of an economy, as one sector expands and another contracts, is a fundamental cause, and not just a by-product, of aggregate growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eurasia Business and Economics Society in its journal Eurasian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Economic Growth and Development; Structural Change; Dual Economy; Agricultural Labor Productivity; Wage Gaps;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O50 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - General
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.