Do countries strategically improve their institutions to access increased debt relief?
AbstractThis paper examines how indebted countries have reacted to the recent shift in the global debt relief architecture towards rewarding indebted countries that have ‘superior' institutions with increased debt relief by probing whether there is any empirical evidence to suggest that countries may be taking advantage of this shift. The findings suggest that debtor countries have quickly adapted to the shift by strategically improving in key areas of institutional governance prior to applying for debt relief.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Debt Relief; Aid; Institutional Quality; HIPC; Development.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Beatrice Weder, 1999.
"Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?,"
NBER Working Papers
7108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Beatrice Weder, 2002. "Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1126-1137, September.
- Michaelowa, Katharina, 2003. " The Political Economy of the Enhanced HIPC-Initiative," Public Choice, Springer, Springer, vol. 114(3-4), pages 461-76, March.
- Silvia Marchesi & Alessandro Missale, 2004.
"What does motivate lending and aid to the HIPCs?,"
Development Working Papers, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano
189, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Chauvin, Nicolas Depetris & Kraay, Aart, 2006.
"Who gets debt relief ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4000, The World Bank.
- Nicolas Depetris Chauvin & Aart Kraay, 2007. "Who Gets Debt Relief?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 5(2-3), pages 333-342, 04-05.
- Graham Bird & Alistair Milne, 2003. "Debt Relief for Low Income Countries: Is it Effective and Efficient?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 43-59, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.